• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Prenolepis imparis Care

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 23 2017 - 7:57 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
There have been a lot of topics like this (regarding P. imparis) but I want to ask some specific questions on caring for these girls. Since they have a wonky schedule (Summer estivation, active winters) is there anything different we should do as ant keepers that is different than other commonly kept ants? Like perhaps heat them up a lot during summer? I don't believe there are many keepers out there that have kept P. imparis long term, so I am cautious as to what info is right or wrong.

#2 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted February 23 2017 - 8:20 AM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

I am very new to this fauna... I have only caught one ant ever and it happens to be a P. imparis so i did all sorts of research on it..

I live in Florida and they are very different here than in say Ohio... I plan to make my formicarium with a long entrance a  like a good 40cm worth of tunnel (zigzaged) and i am going to keep it moist and dark  here they are in estivastion like 8 months but crazy the other four... I am going to do a journal of it and with my fingers crossed keep it going... they are a long term colony and though they take time to mature can be upwards to 10k ants in 7 years (with multiple queens)  

#3 Offline Jamie_Garrison - Posted February 23 2017 - 8:25 AM

Jamie_Garrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationNortheast Florida

i did an ant care sheet on it waiting on Drews blessing,  it has some very good links on it.. id say a must read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users