• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants that can't climb on smooth surfaces?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Offline soulsynapse - Posted February 8 2017 - 9:22 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I thought that all ants could climb on smooth surfaces (some better than others) but poking around a Pogonomyrmex nest today I found out that they can't climb on anything even remotely smooth

What other species could be kept in a formicarium without a lid or a barrier?

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#2 Offline Leo - Posted February 8 2017 - 11:06 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Ambylpone?

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted February 8 2017 - 11:25 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Tetramorium are pretty crappy climbers if the surface is relatively smooth.
Not sure about Camponotus, mine tend to fall from their test tube walls frequently but then this might just come from doing stupid things like grooming themselves when hanging upside down from the ceiling.

Edited by Serafine, February 8 2017 - 11:26 PM.

• LC3 likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#4 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted February 9 2017 - 4:05 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Pachycondyla can't climb glass or acrylic, I could leave their outworld without a lid without problems. 

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted February 9 2017 - 5:00 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I believe Atta, or at least the queens.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted February 9 2017 - 7:13 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

I believe Atta, or at least the queens.

The workers are very good at climbing, but the queens struggle to do it. If it's not high enough they can do it, a queen escaped once(in the day that I captured a lot of them) and I found later wondering in my room. 

• Kevin likes this

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted February 9 2017 - 7:59 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I'd also like to add, if you are looking to not use a lid or barrier, that is a very bad idea. Just about every ant species will get out one way or another, whether they struggle or not. Last thing you want is a colony living under your carpets.

• Nathant2131 likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#8 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2017 - 9:42 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The vast majority of ants are good climbers. I find its very very rare to find an ant that is bad at climbing. Plus, I have yet to find a small ant bad at climbing. But, even most bigger sized ants are good at climbing, so size doesn't seem to matter much.

However, very large ants can be easy to keep too even if they are good climbers (I assume bull dog ants can climb good). In Australia, I heard bull dog ants are really easy to keep contained, because they are so large that they can't find through small holes like other ants can. I imagine they can climb, but maybe not actually, I don't know that detail. I just know that (despite being super fast), they are really easy to contain in most lids/barriers compared to super small ants. Someone said some time back over on Antdude's forum that they are super easy ants to contain just because of their size. I don't have any experience with that though as I've never even been to Australia.

As for ants in the US. I find the #1 hardest to keep contained are the west coast Monomorium ergatogyna (and Monomorium minimum are 99% the same, but the east coast variety), they can cross even fluon. As a test, I separated the Monomorium and put Argentine ants in the container, and even the Argentine ants couldn't cross the same exact barrier of fluon (and Argentine ants are super good at escaping), but the Monomorium ergatogyna could without any issue at all. Then I tried Solenopsis invicta (who are quite larger) and they too couldn't climb it. Monomorium ergatogyna are so tiny that any dust particle they can climb on. The #2 hardest would be Solenopsis molesta (despite being a subterranean based species), but they too are super tiny.

So, if you want easy to contain ants, stay away from small/tiny ants as they seem far harder to contain than larger ants, but I suppose that makes sense.

Edited by Vendayn, February 9 2017 - 9:44 AM.

#9 Offline antgenius123 - Posted February 9 2017 - 9:45 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I have a pheidole queen that can't climb the walls of the test tube at all. She just slips right off.

Edited by antgenius123, February 9 2017 - 9:48 AM.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2017 - 9:58 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I have a pheidole queen that can't climb the walls of the test tube at all. She just slips right off.

The workers and soldiers can climb though really easily. There are a lot of queens of various species unable to climb (or have difficulty, I've had Solenopsis xyloni queens struggle to climb), but the workers can climb without any issue.

I think it be more accurate to talk about which ants are easiest to contain in terms of workers, not the queens. The hardest thing people have with ant keeping, is to contain a colony is the workers, not really the queen(s).

There are various barriers of all kinds, but a lot of them are temporary. The only barrier that isn't temporary is a 100% fitting lid, anything else doesn't last forever. I've been using baby powder and rubbing alcohol mixed into a paste (that is what Antscanada uses) and it works really well actually. I'll be trying it on Monomorium ergatogyna (the ultimate test), but it does stop Argentine ants escaping (at least as good as fluon, so I dunno how it will fair with Monomorium ergatogyna which can get through EVERY barrier I've tried). Plus baby powder and rubbing alcohol are both super cheap.

But, finding ants that are easy to self contain is vastly harder than coming up with a barrier :P

Edited by Vendayn, February 9 2017 - 10:01 AM.

#11 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 9 2017 - 10:39 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

the vast majority of ponerines, it seems

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#12 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 9 2017 - 11:40 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

Rhytidoponera metallica are hands down the worst glass climbing ants in Australia. Bull ants can climb glass with relative ease, however their larger size and weight makes it a chore for them. I find a happy bull ant less likely to try and scale the glass walls, but keeping them without proper containment is pure insanity.

#13 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 9 2017 - 12:49 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

The workers and soldiers can climb though really easily. There are a lot of queens of various species unable to climb (or have difficulty, I've had Solenopsis xyloni queens struggle to climb), but the workers can climb without any issue.

I think it be more accurate to talk about which ants are easiest to contain in terms of workers, not the queens. The hardest thing people have with ant keeping, is to contain a colony is the workers, not really the queen(s).

There are various barriers of all kinds, but a lot of them are temporary. The only barrier that isn't temporary is a 100% fitting lid, anything else doesn't last forever. I've been using baby powder and rubbing alcohol mixed into a paste (that is what Antscanada uses) and it works really well actually. I'll be trying it on Monomorium ergatogyna (the ultimate test), but it does stop Argentine ants escaping (at least as good as fluon, so I dunno how it will fair with Monomorium ergatogyna which can get through EVERY barrier I've tried). Plus baby powder and rubbing alcohol are both super cheap.

But, finding ants that are easy to self contain is vastly harder than coming up with a barrier :P

Ummmmmm my majors just completely fall off.

YJK

#14 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 9 2017 - 1:00 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Ummmmmm my majors just completely fall off.

Maybe it depends on the species then. When I kept Pheidole megacephala for a bit (I don't like keeping invasive ants, so they went into the freezer lol)...they could climb really easily without any issue. But, maybe Pheidole megacephala are "designed" differently than native Pheidole. They could climb as good as Argentine ants, that included the soldiers AND queens.

#15 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 9 2017 - 1:12 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Last thing you want is a colony living under your carpets.

Hey........Be quiet!

I didn't worry about this before but now I do!

• Martialis likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users