• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

what are good materials to make formicariums from?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Arrowscotch - Posted February 5 2017 - 1:27 AM

Arrowscotch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLynnWood Washington

I'm looking into making my own formicariums and i'd like to know peoples opinion on different building materials. I live in the united states if that seems to restrict materials at all. Thank you guys for any feedback.

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 5 2017 - 7:09 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I'm looking into making my own formicariums and i'd like to know peoples opinion on different building materials. I live in the united states if that seems to restrict materials at all. Thank you guys for any feedback.

I feel like Grout and Perlite mix is the best in North America. Hydrostone can work too.

• T.C. likes this

YJK

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 5 2017 - 7:11 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I personally prefer hydro stone and Arcrylic
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Bracchymyrmex - Posted February 5 2017 - 1:15 PM

Bracchymyrmex

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania

Grout mixed with sand and perlite allows for hydration. I'm not sure what ratios you should use however.

#5 Offline fortysixandtwo - Posted February 6 2017 - 11:15 PM

fortysixandtwo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationNor Cal

Grout mixed with sand and perlite allows for hydration. I'm not sure what ratios you should use however.

Best to play with the materials a bit before you go for your finished product. FInd a consistency you like. I don't use perlite but do use sand, and just adjust the ratios as I am making it depending on what the final goal is.

I haven't used anything but sanded and unsanded grout, but I am used to the material now and like it quite a bit actually. 

Edited by fortysixandtwo, February 6 2017 - 11:16 PM.

#6 Offline noebl1 - Posted February 7 2017 - 4:57 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I recently started doing 3D printed + hydrostone for hydration. I like the look of it, however need to actually try it with the ants this season to see how they respond.

#7 Offline PanFormicaryProject - Posted February 7 2017 - 6:11 PM

PanFormicaryProject

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada.

Really which material you decide to use depends on what kind of formicarium you want to build, or that you think would work best for your ants.

Acrylic is good for flat, hygienic 'layered' nest types for (typically smaller) ants that prefer a drier home. Acrylic is also versatile in that cutting, drilling, and gluing are all pretty easy, not to mention it's usually see-through, allowing you to really monitor the health of the hive and make it easier to tell when it needs cleaning.

Grout or other stones are good for damper nests with larger ants, and it really is pretty easy to work with considering you just pour it into a makeshift mold and the whole nest is a solid brick.

Wood and/or cork is okay, but really only if you have a wood-loving species, otherwise stone and plastic are superior because they don't rot. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users