• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Flavus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SpikeyOls - Posted February 1 2017 - 1:20 PM

SpikeyOls

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

What would people pay for a 5 queen lasius flavus colony with 12-15 workers and brood?

• Martialis likes this

#2 Offline Martialis - Posted February 2 2017 - 4:58 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

I've never heard of a polygne Lasius species, so you'd probably end up with four dead queens, one injured queen, and the same amount of workers. You'd likely make more money separating the queens and having them found separate.

Edited by Martialis, February 2 2017 - 4:59 AM.

Spoiler

#3 Offline Miles - Posted February 2 2017 - 7:32 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Lasius flavus appears to be an exception and has been reported to be able to contain multiple queens in some conditions.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline Loops117 - Posted February 2 2017 - 7:40 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Lasius flavus appears to be an exception and has been reported to be able to contain multiple queens in some conditions.

I've heard of them doing this in their founding stages, but that's as far as their relationship goes. Eventually they kill off the weaker queens. But then again, this is just what i heard.

#5 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted February 2 2017 - 8:50 AM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

seperate them and sell them for $20 - $40 each

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#6 Offline Canadian anter - Posted February 2 2017 - 9:23 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Because splitting them would be ~3 workers each, I would sell them for 15CAD each
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users