• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

General Starting Colony Advice & Lasius ID

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 2 2017 - 2:40 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

The queen in the first series of internet pictures is Lasius claviger, but the second two are both Lasius umbratus. If you use antwiki to look up Lasius nearcticus, you will find a picture of L. umbratus there, too. Lasius speculiventris has such a shiny gaster, you would know for sure if you saw it.

tumblr_ocvw5wwJxd1ve862eo1_1280.jpg

Hmm... Ok. I didn't know they were that shiny. That might confirm my 2 Cthonolasius queens as being L. umbratus. So VoidElecent, there's your I.D.; Lasius umbratus  :) 

#22 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 2 2017 - 4:47 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I don't think we'll be able to meet up. 

Very interesting you refer to Lasius as hard to find. They are the most common genus in my area hands down. Lasius neoniger and Social Parasites in particular.

I consider Lasius hard to find merely from experience. Since I started anting, I rarely come across Lasius colonies. I don't believe I have ever clearly identified a Lasius or even parasitic Lasius colony. I ran into a Claviger nuptial flight once (which I got a pretty good video out of) but nothing too special. Claviger dealates are VERY common in my area, but I haven't found any Lasius or parasite workers running around like Tetramorium or Camponotus workers. Kinda bummed there are so many Claviger; I'm not too fond of the Acanthomyops "colony-takeover" techniques.

• TheAntKing likes this

#23 Offline VoidElecent - Posted February 2 2017 - 4:48 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

The queen in the first series of internet pictures is Lasius claviger, but the second two are both Lasius umbratus. If you use antwiki to look up Lasius nearcticus, you will find a picture of L. umbratus there, too. Lasius speculiventris has such a shiny gaster, you would know for sure if you saw it.

tumblr_ocvw5wwJxd1ve862eo1_1280.jpg

Hmm... Ok. I didn't know they were that shiny. That might confirm my 2 Cthonolasius queens as being L. umbratus. So VoidElecent, there's your I.D.; Lasius umbratus  :) 

My Cthonolasius is pretty darn shiny. I'll just leave her as "Cthonolasius" for now. Shouldn't make a huge difference.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#24 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted February 3 2017 - 3:33 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I don't think we'll be able to meet up. 

Very interesting you refer to Lasius as hard to find. They are the most common genus in my area hands down. Lasius neoniger and Social Parasites in particular.

I consider Lasius hard to find merely from experience. Since I started anting, I rarely come across Lasius colonies. I don't believe I have ever clearly identified a Lasius or even parasitic Lasius colony. I ran into a Claviger nuptial flight once (which I got a pretty good video out of) but nothing too special. Claviger dealates are VERY common in my area, but I haven't found any Lasius or parasite workers running around like Tetramorium or Camponotus workers. Kinda bummed there are so many Claviger; I'm not too fond of the Acanthomyops "colony-takeover" techniques.

Many If not all Social Parasites are subterranean. They are easy to find under small rocks in forests. Mostly dirt substrate. They make an overboard amount of tunnels, so if you are able to find a bunch of tunnels there will often only be a couple workers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users