• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Howdy from Texas - New to the hobby

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Agonzalez4771 - Posted January 25 2017 - 7:01 PM

Agonzalez4771

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Hello everyone. My name is Andres. I am from Texas. I am 37, married, and have a wonderful son who follows in my foot steps when to comes to flora and fauna. I currently raise Tortoise, Turtles, Ball Pythons, Rats, Mice, African Soft Furs, MaCaws, an African Grey, a few Amazons, 2 pair of Ring Tailed Lemurs, Fruit Flies, and 25 Tarantulas. My Tarantula Collections is still small but my current Jewel in my Tarantula Collections is either the Pink Bloom or the Ecuadorian rainbow bird eater. I'm real big into Tarantulas and my son has his own brazilian black that he's proud of. The brazilian black is still a young T. 

I have been watching several youTube ant keeping videos and reading up on Ants for almost half a year. There is still alot I do not know, I do know that Nuptial Flights will being in spring depending on the species and geographic location and I want to start a few colonies this year. I am still not sure how to Identify a queen, and I am not very good at identifying different species of ants.

As far as the colonies I want, I have seen some that I am interested in, I am interested in sugar ants, pharoah ants, texas leaf cutter ants, carpenter ants, and Myrmecocystus ants just to name a few. I know they are supposed to be found within my geographic area but I can't even find an existing colony to keep an eye on. I am open to ant speices to start with, however, I know what ants do not interest me and I would prefer not to keep. I plan to turn on pokemon go on my iPhone and start hitting the trails looking for ant colonies and hatching pokemon eggs with my son. LOL

I am not interested in Pogonomyrmex barbatus ants nor the Fire Ant or those like the fire ants. I have fire ants EVERYWHERE, its like i can throw a rock and it will land within 5 feet of a fire ant nest... yes, that many.

If your from Texas... drop me a line... id love to visit and talk Ants... or Tarantulas.  

• FSTP and CrazyLegs like this

1 colony of Neoponera Villosa

1 colony of Leptogenys Elongata

1 colony of red black Camponotus

1 Pachycondyla harpax Queen

1 Solenopsis Queen

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 25 2017 - 10:10 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Welcome to the forum!

Fire ants are actually quite fun to keep. Out of all my ants my Solenopsis are the most clever ant always come out at the time I feed them. They are actually very tame if kept gently and not disturbed too often, if you are worrying about you or your son or your wife getting stung. An individual fire ant sting doesn't hurt for me, but I don't know about texas solenopsis.

Also, P. Barbatus is one of my dream ants! They're also quite fun ants, they are like seed eating leaf cutters.

Also, this is a great time to be in the ant community. All the major flights are still coming! Also keep an eye out for Atta Texana! In April you may get lucky and hit the jackpot. 

Feel free to send me some tarantula pics! I used to have a baby rosehair tarantula that I got for free at a reptile expo due to sickliness. She grew up strong but we sadly had to give her away.

wait.

WAIT.

WAIT.

You keep parrots?! I LOVE PARROTS! I used to have an amazing Peachface lovebird. She would always sit on my shoulder and preen my hair.

Also, send some pics of the lemurs!

Edited by Hawaiiant, January 25 2017 - 10:40 PM.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline FSTP - Posted January 25 2017 - 10:30 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Welcome!

I was born and grew up a bit in Bryan Tx. Looks like you're well versed in animal husbandry so ants should be an easy transition for you.

• T.C. likes this

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted January 26 2017 - 7:26 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Hello everyone. My name is Andres. I am from Texas. I am 37, married, and have a wonderful son who follows in my foot steps when to comes to flora and fauna. I currently raise Tortoise, Turtles, Ball Pythons, Rats, Mice, African Soft Furs, MaCaws, an African Grey, a few Amazons, 2 pair of Ring Tailed Lemurs, Fruit Flies, and 25 Tarantulas. My Tarantula Collections is still small but my current Jewel in my Tarantula Collections is either the Pink Bloom or the Ecuadorian rainbow bird eater. I'm real big into Tarantulas and my son has his own brazilian black that he's proud of. The brazilian black is still a young T. 

I have been watching several youTube ant keeping videos and reading up on Ants for almost half a year. There is still alot I do not know, I do know that Nuptial Flights will being in spring depending on the species and geographic location and I want to start a few colonies this year. I am still not sure how to Identify a queen, and I am not very good at identifying different species of ants.

As far as the colonies I want, I have seen some that I am interested in, I am interested in sugar ants, pharoah ants, texas leaf cutter ants, carpenter ants, and Myrmecocystus ants just to name a few. I know they are supposed to be found within my geographic area but I can't even find an existing colony to keep an eye on. I am open to ant speices to start with, however, I know what ants do not interest me and I would prefer not to keep. I plan to turn on pokemon go on my iPhone and start hitting the trails looking for ant colonies and hatching pokemon eggs with my son. LOL

I am not interested in Pogonomyrmex barbatus ants nor the Fire Ant or those like the fire ants. I have fire ants EVERYWHERE, its like i can throw a rock and it will land within 5 feet of a fire ant nest... yes, that many.

If your from Texas... drop me a line... id love to visit and talk Ants... or Tarantulas.  

Welcome. I never kept any lemurs, but I am sure they are cool. Tarantulas are cool, ants are too, real cool. Well actually I get into it all, from Insect to Arachnids so I like keeping and talking about it all. So maybe I will catch you in chat and we can talk about either ants or T's ;)

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 26 2017 - 10:01 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with any species you're hoping to get this season.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 28 2017 - 12:48 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Welcome! I live in Alabama so whenever your down here lets meet! ;)

YJK

#7 Offline AntsTexas - Posted January 28 2017 - 1:18 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

greetings, from west texas!!

• Agonzalez4771 likes this

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#8 Offline Leo - Posted January 28 2017 - 4:54 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

你好 from China, Hong Kong

#9 Offline NightsWebs - Posted February 2 2017 - 9:10 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your species.  I would start with some Pogonomyrmex Species as they are common and keep well with minimum interference.  good luck and if you have questions just ask. Plenty of people will share their experiences with you.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 3 2017 - 4:06 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Camponotus sp. would be a good place to start.  Very large, average demeanor, easy to culture.  After you get your feet wet, you can try honey pot ants or leaf cutters.

Probably the most important thing, however, is that in North American antkeeping, you're mostly limited to what you can find on your own.  So if you can't find anything but fire ants or P. barbatus, you may need to settle for them until you can find the species you're most interested in.

Edited by drtrmiller, February 3 2017 - 4:06 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users