• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Information on Pyramica Strumigenys and other leaf litter ants

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted January 25 2017 - 10:50 AM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Anyone know where you can find these in california and when they have nuptial flights.

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#2 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 25 2017 - 10:35 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hi. I may not live in California but here are some tips:

Rotting logs: When you find one, gently press around the outside areas (with good gloves, because you don't want a run in with a scorpion). there's a chance of uncovering a small Strumigenys nest. My friend found a colony like that. During tennis practice, a small log (branch?) blew onto the court during a wind storm. When I picked it up to put it aside, a few pupae tumbled out. Then a worker emerged and I nearly fainted from excitement. I gave that branch to my friend to "force" ant keeping upon him and now he has a strumigenys colony.

Leaf litter: At night, using some cardboard or a shovel, scoop leaf litter into a bucket. Since nighttime is when semi-claustral queens feed, there is a chance of finding a young queen. That's how I find Technomyrmex queens, but instead on a sidewalk.

Tree bark: Find a tree with loose bark (birch, etc). Remove some of the bark from the tree (gently, let the tree live). You may find a small colony of ants (or, if lucky, termites). Then gently scoop or suck up those guys (if termites, gentle scooping is better. Nymphs, queens, and kings get injured easily.).

I hope this helps!

Also, try to post some specifics about what you mean by the ants you want. Do you want just the miniature hunting ants or will you settle with temnothorax as well?

• Martialis and SamKeepsAnts like this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#3 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted January 26 2017 - 10:13 AM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Miniature hunting ants are my main goal but i will also look out for temnothorax

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 26 2017 - 5:47 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Temnothorax are great :). They were the first ant I've ever kept (when I was 7 in Ohio, I once found an acorn and put it in a tupperware. I fed them apple slices and bits of chicken bone).

• Martialis likes this
Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi