• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ants sucking on olive oil

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted January 19 2017 - 7:30 AM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Thanks for taking the time to review my post!

Today I refreshed my olive oil barrier.  A few minutes later, I found many ants huddling around the barrier and sucking on it the same way they do with sugar water.  The colony appears to have plenty of sugar water and water, so why would they be attracted to the olive oil?  Would this mean that they're having trouble actually getting at the sugar water (it sometimes hardens, but I don't believe that that's the case here)?  Or perhaps the olive oil is providing some nutrient that the meal worms and sugar water do not?

Thanks again for listening to me!

~Dan

#2 Offline Ricardo - Posted January 19 2017 - 8:30 AM

Ricardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLos angeles
Have you thought maybe they think if they drink enough they will be able to get through the barrier. And it's possible your ants might like it. I hope I helped , good luck.

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 19 2017 - 8:35 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Ants need fats and oils in their diet, usually from insects and seeds. You might want to try changing up the food options. I usually stick to crickets but occasionally feed fruit flies, fish food, cat food, and chicken.

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted January 19 2017 - 8:58 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Mealworms aren't very nutritious and insufficient as a diet. You need to feed them other stuff like fruit flies, crickets, superworms, cat/dog food (in sauce, not the dry one), cooked meat, boiled egg yolk, etc.

You can also try fruits (apples, banana, strawberries, cherries), nuts (unsalted) and seeds (sesame seeds are quite popular among ants that are semi-granivorous).

Your ants need variety and you'll see how exited they will be when you drop them a cricket, some egg yolk or a banana slice.

You couldn't live off coke and peanut flips forever either, right?

Edited by Serafine, January 19 2017 - 9:06 AM.

• Shareallicu likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted January 19 2017 - 9:05 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

cat/dog food (in sauce, not the dry one)

And here I've been using the dry stuff because I didn't think about it enough. Wet food makes sense. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline Serafine - Posted January 19 2017 - 9:08 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If they have enough big larvae it doesn't really matter. However the adult ants can't really digest solid protein, that's why the wet version is better (as they don't have to process it through the larvae first).

Edited by Serafine, January 19 2017 - 9:08 AM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

#7 Offline AntsMAN - Posted January 19 2017 - 5:01 PM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Meal worms are very nutritious and great as one of the staple foods in their diet, but I agree a varied diet is best. I currently rotate meal/super worms and crickets, I used to use boiled eggs but they mold really quickly. Also some natural unpasteurized honey is really good.

I wouldn't use dog or cat food. There are a lot of things that get mixed in that aren't good for ants. I've been told by a few knowledgeable people that it

can cause a colony to die off.

• Shareallicu likes this

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#8 Offline Shareallicu - Posted January 19 2017 - 8:15 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Meal worms are very nutritious and great as one of the staple foods in their diet, but I agree a varied diet is best. I currently rotate meal/super worms and crickets, I used to use boiled eggs but they mold really quickly. Also some natural unpasteurized honey is really good.

I wouldn't use dog or cat food. There are a lot of things that get mixed in that aren't good for ants. I've been told by a few knowledgeable people that it

How can you tell if the honey is pasteurized or not?

#9 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 19 2017 - 8:17 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

What ants do you have? Some ants love eating oils. For example, olive oils are a special treat I give to my Pheidole.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#10 Offline Serafine - Posted January 20 2017 - 3:39 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

I guess that depends on your country. In my country the regulations for dog and cat food are actually stricter than for human food. The major issue I see could be salt (and some cat/dog food has vegetables mixed into it but they aren't even good for cats and dogs so forget about these), but the amount of salt in the food is noted on the can and if the ants have enough water they should be able to deal even with more salty food it. Someone in the forums (forgot who) has a giant invicta colony and feeds them half a can of dog food per day and they're doing fine.

#11 Offline AntsMAN - Posted January 20 2017 - 7:19 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

It will usually say raw honey on the jar, I get mine from a local bee keeper.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#12 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 20 2017 - 8:13 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

It will usually say raw honey on the jar, I get mine from a local bee keeper.
Same. Very expensive too.

YJK

#13 Offline AntsMAN - Posted January 20 2017 - 11:40 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I guess that depends on your country. In my country the regulations for dog and cat food are actually stricter than for human food. The major issue I see could be salt (and some cat/dog food has vegetables mixed into it but they aren't even good for cats and dogs so forget about these), but the amount of salt in the food is noted on the can and if the ants have enough water they should be able to deal even with more salty food it. Someone in the forums (forgot who) has a giant invicta colony and feeds them half a can of dog food per day and they're doing fine.

Which country are you from? I find it hard to believe that your government would put animal food safety before human food safety.

It's not the salts its the contaminates that make their way into the food during production/handling, or the neglect of the companies when sourcing the ingredients.

They do not use the best materials to make the food, they use the scraps and leftovers, anything not fit of human consumption.

You said yourself they make cat/dog food that isn't even healthy them. A lot of the cat/dog foods are heavily contaminated with unhealthy things and I personally don't think it is a good idea to use as ant feed, or animal feed for that matter.

That's not to say there isn't any good cat/dog foods, if you want to spend the money you can get all natural healthy foods but if your going to feed them chicken cat food, why not feed them actual chicken?

The person with the invicta colony, may feed them some dog food but half a can a day seems a little excessive, and a doubt it is their only protein source. And that's not to say there aren't a few exceptions in the ant world that can sustain on unsatisfactory foods.

See here: http://www.littlebig...d-contaminants/

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#14 Offline Serafine - Posted January 20 2017 - 12:29 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Which country are you from? I find it hard to believe that your government would put animal food safety before human food safety.

Germany. The country were tap water is usually of better quality than the water you can buy in supermarkets (we have very very strict laws on tap water).
And yes, we have very strict laws for animal food as well. Cat/dog food here is definitely safe for humans to eat (which I wouldn't advise though unless you like liver and other animal guts, but then you could as well just buy an entire pork liver, a pack of complete chicken hearts or a whole cow stomach at the local supermarket).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users