• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Journey into Hebel/Ytong/AAC formicariums

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#161 Offline T.C. - Posted February 13 2017 - 11:31 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts
How much time do you put into each individual nest? I mean from start to finish including carving, hydration, color, etc.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#162 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 14 2017 - 3:07 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

How much time do you put into each individual nest? I mean from start to finish including carving, hydration, color, etc.

I made the Gecko casually in about 4hrs from start to finish. It's the prototype so I was mucking around a bit. I guess you could say that would make them quite expensive. If I knew I was going to make a lot of them, I would do each stage separately with a bunch of them to speed it up a bit. I'm sure I could shave some time after making a few. I don't intend on running a sweat shop though.  :D

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 24 2017 - 3:54 AM.

#163 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 14 2017 - 3:19 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

The smell of maple syrup filling the air was too much for Big Red and she came out to get her own dinner this evening.

Feeding queen 1
You can see her here slightly larger than Ol Original.
Feeding queen 2
That's not very royal behavior. She looked pretty casual so I thought I'd try to feed her directly.
Feeding queen 3
She seems fine with it. Maybe I need to feed them more.

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 14 2017 - 3:22 AM.

• ctantkeeper and Martialis like this

#164 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 14 2017 - 6:08 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I must say those are some really great pics.

The detail in them is fantastic. I'm able to experience alien-like creatures somewhat face to face from the comfort of a computer screen. 

Edit: Ok I'm 3 pages back and thus late to be reading. I'm at the point where one of the gnarly looking trapjaws has another ants thorax in its jaws! "Oh no..." has been said.. DON'T RUIN THE SUSPENSE!

Edited by sgheaton, February 14 2017 - 6:15 AM.

• Martialis, antgenius123 and CrazyLegs like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#165 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 16 2017 - 10:55 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I had a male alate running around the outworld yesterday, crash tackling the workers and trying to mate with them. He was all alone in his endeavors and nobody was taking him seriously. Knowing that my queens were very light sensitive nowadays I removed the nest covers and sure enough one came out. I plugged the nest so I didn't have to deal with any more ants and prepared to grab these two creatures. The moment I lifted the lid the antsy male flew out across the room and landed on a window screen. I grabbed him by the wings with a pair of tweezers. I used my modified BBQ tongs to grasp the queen. She wasn't too keen on this and her 3mm stinger was clearly visible trying to sting anything and everything. I thought to myself "That's the last place I would want to place my genitals" but went ahead anyway and touched the tip of her gaster with the males a few times.

Nothing seemed to happen so I placed them both back in and replaced the lid. For obvious reasons I couldn't get any pics of this.

The next day the male was in the outworld coming to terms with his own mortality. He was writhing around on the ground in what looked like agony so I put him in the freezer.

Here he is starting to defrost. :)

Frozen Male

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 17 2017 - 10:59 AM.

• Martialis likes this

#166 Offline Leo - Posted February 17 2017 - 12:02 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

the guy obviously has problems, nice try though  :lol:

#167 Offline sgheaton - Posted February 17 2017 - 6:40 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

and touched the tip of her gaster with the males a few times.

This is exactly how I pictured this going down: 

• CrazyLegs likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#168 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 17 2017 - 11:01 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Hahaha, sgheaton. Hilarious. The unimpressed look he had at the end is probably right. :lol:

#169 Offline antgenius123 - Posted February 17 2017 - 11:55 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Maybe if you tried freezing them beforehand? It slows them down quite a bit.

• CrazyLegs likes this

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#170 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 17 2017 - 12:02 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Sounds like it could lessen their aggressiveness if they were cooled. However my opportunity has passed for now.

#171 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 17 2017 - 2:49 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

This thread, being about Hebel formicariums, I thought I should probably post a picture of the range I have to date. As you are all aware I am still in the testing phase and have kept ants in "The Crocodilian" now for about 6 weeks without a serious issue. I will continue testing and as soon as I have proven success with these models I will be looking at making them to order for anyone who is interested. 

Hebel formicarium range

"The Crocodilian" - For the big ants

"The Gator"          - Medium ants

"The Gecko"         - Small ants or medium founding queens.

The moss in the center of The Crocodilian is a different species to the others and looks darker because It was just filled with water. I changed to a much brighter and fluffier species. I will also be upgrading the nest covers to black acrylic with magnets as the tearing of the velcro seems to startle the ants. The Gecko will be getting some upgrades soon.

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 17 2017 - 2:55 PM.

• drtrmiller, PTAntFan, Martialis and 2 others like this

#172 Offline Guzzer - Posted February 19 2017 - 9:01 PM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Loving the natural look!

• CrazyLegs likes this

#173 Offline PTAntFan - Posted February 19 2017 - 9:26 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Has anyone asked where you acquired the AAC and what tools you used for sculpting?  Sorry, the thread is a bit long now to go page by page and I don't remember it coming up specifically.

• CrazyLegs likes this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#174 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 20 2017 - 3:50 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Has anyone asked where you acquired the AAC and what tools you used for sculpting?  Sorry, the thread is a bit long now to go page by page and I don't remember it coming up specifically.

The hebel came from "Bunnings" which holds the monopoly of hardware in Australia, I'm not happy about having to go there for everything but they pretty much wiped out all the competition. They sell it in handy sized blocks 600mm long. The sculpting is done with a diamond saw and a cordless drill.

#175 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 20 2017 - 4:01 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

There hasn't been a lot of action since the last update. The remaining males haven't left the nest but the queens often come out at night for a look around.

Shadows
I went out for a quick look at the 12 Myrmecia brevinoda nests I've been watching lately and one of those nests had male alates gathering at the entrance.
M. Brevinoda nuptials
This was the only nest of the 12 that showed any signs of this kind of activity. Hopefully nuptials have just begun for this species.
Brevinoda nuptials
I sat and watched this nest for about half an hour. No queens emerged in this time and unfortunately I had to go to work. I will be going out every day for the next week or so. Hopefully I get lucky. This forest is pretty darn thick and finding one of these girls is going to be a needle in a haystack kind of deal. You gotta be in it to win it though right? :)

• Martialis and T.C. like this

#176 Offline Leo - Posted February 20 2017 - 4:25 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

good luck  :P

• CrazyLegs likes this

#177 Offline antgenius123 - Posted February 20 2017 - 8:05 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

A little rain should do the trick in getting those queens to emerge.

• CrazyLegs likes this

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#178 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 20 2017 - 9:20 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Yes we have had a dismal rain season, but there may be a little on the way. The ants always know when it's due.

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 20 2017 - 9:20 PM.

#179 Offline Leo - Posted February 20 2017 - 9:22 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

oh well

#180 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 24 2017 - 2:39 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I spent some time this week thinking about the Gecko and have come up with a portable feeding globe to address access issues. Currently I have been just removing the acrylic screen to add food for my Anonychomyrma sp. but that will not work for long as her nanitics are nearly due and I don't want to squish them.

Portable feeder
This sphere will make a mini outworld where you can place your protein offerings or sweet liquids.
Epoxy feeder capsule
This Gecko has been colored with a natural dye made from plant extracts.

Believe it or not I am still not finished yet and have another upgrade coming soon.

Gecko prototype 2
When I have completed the Gecko Protoype 2 project I will be giving this very model away in a competition through Gamergate.
Glow In The dark
Oh yeah and of course it has to glow in the dark. :D

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 24 2017 - 4:08 AM.

• Martialis likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users