• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Journey into Hebel/Ytong/AAC formicariums

• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Kevin - Posted January 31 2017 - 7:45 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Have you had any issues cracking the little walls and pillars in your chambers? I find that when I carve detailed like that I end up screwing it up.

Edited by Kevin, January 31 2017 - 7:45 PM.

• CrazyLegs likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#82 Offline Leo - Posted January 31 2017 - 8:20 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

queen queen queen

#83 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted January 31 2017 - 10:14 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

Have you had any issues cracking the little walls and pillars in your chambers? I find that when I carve detailed like that I end up screwing it up.

If you look back you might just be able to see a crack that goes across the top of the Crocodilian. I was trying to chisel with a bit too much force when sculpting the outworld. I was lucky it did not go right through and from that moment I was a lot more patient with chipping and drilling.

I had to be very mindful of where the neighboring chambers walls finished and wasn't able to go deep in the corner for fear of rupturing the reservoir walls.

I didn't do any chiselling inside the tunnel areas. It's all patient drill work. :)

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 2 2017 - 10:09 PM.

#84 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 2 2017 - 3:15 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

There's a bit going on at the moment, I have a lot of pics to share but not a lot of time.

First of all, I'm not sure what's going on with the lichen and moss collecting.

moss and lichen
I don't know if they are trying to get the nest more wet or if they are trying to soak up the moisture.
moss and lichen trash pile

No food scraps are placed here but they are laying empty pupae sacks on top of it. Feel free to chime in with any theories about this behavior.

I'm a little worried about my original test ant. She has been demoted to garbage duties and the second largest ant has taken brooding position.

Garbage duty 2
Here she is dumping the empty cocoons in the nest. :facepalm:
At least she threw some garbage in the outworld.
Garbage duty 1
You can also see they've licked the paint off the plastic stick. Hope it doesn't give them brain damage. :D

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 4 2017 - 10:55 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#85 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 2 2017 - 3:27 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I'm starting to wonder where all these ants would be getting their sustenance from in the wild as they have not eaten any protein I have offered.

I don't see a great deal of flowers nearby the nests I find so they couldn't possibly be sustaining a colony on nectar alone. Some of these nests were huge with hundreds of ants so they are going to be eating something. I have offered many different types of insects, first dispatched in the freezer. They are always picked up.

Red Vs green 1

They are carried around, sometimes down into the nest and laid beside the pupae.

Red Vs green 3
Only to be picked up by another ant and carried back outside the nest.
Red Vs green 2

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 2 2017 - 10:15 PM.

• antmaniac likes this

#86 Offline Martialis - Posted February 2 2017 - 4:17 AM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Ants need protein during their development; before they eclose.

Spoiler

#87 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 2 2017 - 11:59 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Ants need protein during their development; before they eclose.

I realize the larvae need solid foods, I just haven't seen these Myrmecia brevinoda eat an insect the same way as my chrysogaster.

I came home yesterday to see the insect I previously offered stuck up in the plastic tree in a morbid pose, wings spread out in some grotesque demonic fashion.

It looked like a crucifixion, or some sort of sacrifice. Maybe it's a protest. I couldn't get a clear pic as I didn't have my partners trusty camera.

But once again someone would pick it up, take it into the nest only for it to be brought back out again.

Roughed up bug
This bug was dragged through the spiky plastic plant so many times it started to look a little worse for wear.

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 2 2017 - 12:01 PM.

• Martialis and T.C. like this

#88 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 3 2017 - 1:53 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I love the solid exoskeleton on these ants with the sheen it gives off under certain lighting.

More activity in the nest last night had me hopeful of another arrival.

Exoskeleton
Sure enough another ant had emerged, this time being a small worker.
Young and yellow
She moved to the ceiling with her two brothers.
Sister and 2 brothers
With each new arrival the ants seem to get more aggressive to intrusions.
The big one has to be next surely. :)

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 3 2017 - 1:55 AM.

• Martialis likes this

#89 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 3 2017 - 2:04 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Of course the new worker was going to need a feed. Trophallaxis to the rescue.

Feed the new ant
Three way?
3 way trophallaxis
That's a bit much :D

• sgheaton likes this

#90 Offline Leo - Posted February 3 2017 - 3:41 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

=)

#91 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 3 2017 - 11:50 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I missed the eclosing of the large pupae last night but was able to get some pics of the newest member and yes it's a queen!

New queen
My handful of stolen pupae turned out to be a lucky grab. I'm going to need a lot more luck if I am going to somehow get her fertilized.
I certainly wasn't expecting to find a queen in this manner. I was surprised to see she only measured 36mm (tip of gaster to tip of mandible), besting the next largest ant by only 4mm. Her mandibles also seems a little shorter and more delicate than the larger workers.
This male strolled over and sat face to face with her for a while.
37mm queen
This is the "Turn off that bloody light" look. 
That look

Better let her be for now. I'll get some more pics of Big Yella later on. :)

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 3 2017 - 12:07 PM.

• antmaniac and Martialis like this

#92 Offline T.C. - Posted February 3 2017 - 11:54 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

You know, if you were lucky, that male and female maybe just might mate. I don't know a whole lot about the species. I wonder if maybe they would go to the top of the out world and try to do a one on one nuptial flight. How many drones is there?

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#93 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 3 2017 - 11:57 AM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I feel like I may have used up the last of my luck but you never know. There are two drones at the moment, they are from the same gene pool as her though so not sure if inbreeding will be an issue. Maybe I could try for some more pupae from a different nest?

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 3 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#94 Offline T.C. - Posted February 3 2017 - 12:04 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Well, I actually have heard of people having alates in their formicariums, but not those alates having the nuptial flight indoors. I think it has something to do with humidity and temperature. However I don't believe anyone knows for sure what triggers nuptial flights if I remember correctly. I believe that's what was said in a ant documentary I watched.

• CrazyLegs likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#95 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 3 2017 - 12:13 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Yes, I am very much in uncharted waters myself here. I think we must've watched the same documentary. All I can do is wait and observe, the males are always showing plenty of interest in this queen so that's positive. She most certainly has everybody's respect in there.

• T.C. likes this

#96 Offline antgenius123 - Posted February 3 2017 - 12:20 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I must say those are some really great pics. I have a feeling it's going to get a bit more interesting with those alates.

• CrazyLegs likes this

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#97 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 3 2017 - 12:27 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Thanks antgenius123, Having a massive ant helps a lot. :)

They are extremely protective of the nest now. I'm beginning to wonder if a time will come when I won't be able to open the lid.. :o

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 3 2017 - 12:27 PM.

• antgenius123 likes this

#98 Offline antgenius123 - Posted February 3 2017 - 12:33 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I'm starting to wonder where all these ants would be getting their sustenance from in the wild as they have not eaten any protein I have offered.

I don't see a great deal of flowers nearby the nests I find so they couldn't possibly be sustaining a colony on nectar alone. Some of these nests were huge with hundreds of ants so they are going to be eating something. I have offered many different types of insects, first dispatched in the freezer. They are always picked up.

This is also something I often think about. I have a Tapinoma colony living in a small crack in the tiles in my bathroom. Pretty much no food is left inside or outside so I imagine they travel quite far to get food for the nest which is quite interesting.

• CrazyLegs likes this

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#99 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted February 3 2017 - 12:39 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I'm wondering if this species simply eat their own young. I know they are capable of laying trophic eggs for consumption. I haven't witnessed any egg laying in the nest as yet.

Here is her majesty having a meet and greet with my original test ant. Note the mandible size difference.

Meet And greet
There is also a distinct shape difference on the underside of the thorax after the first set of legs.

Here she is sitting at 36mm. I wonder if the gaster will extend a little if she becomes fertile?

Her majesty

Edited by CrazyLegs, February 3 2017 - 4:04 PM.

• Martialis likes this

#100 Offline Martialis - Posted February 3 2017 - 1:25 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Myrmecia don't actually have nuptial flights; the wings are just for dispersal. Instead the ants congregate on tall structures to mate.

• CrazyLegs likes this
Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users