• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

3 1/2 months of hibernation complete, should I go for 1 more?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMAN - Posted December 29 2016 - 10:53 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

I put a few in October 1, a few more November 1, and my Lasius umbratus didn't start until Dec 1.

A few of my queens have made it to the 3 1/2 month mark. I have quite a few new queens in test tubes, I'm thinking 3 1/2 months is good enough for their first hibernation?

The other larger colonies from last year, I'm leaving for another month as they didn't get a proper hibernation last year.

Over all no mass deaths or odd happenings, all seems to be going great. I check on them once a week, to make sure they are hydrated and I feed the larger colonies some honey once a month. My fridge stays at about 8C. The weather in my area has been very mild.

With my past troubles with hibernation, I still need some reassurance. Hopefully this year is a success.

Edited by AntsMAN, February 10 2017 - 10:05 AM.

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 29 2016 - 10:58 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

At least wait until the snow is on its way out to get their natural hibernation period.

• dermy likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline AntsMAN - Posted December 29 2016 - 11:17 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

At least wait until the snow is on its way out to get their natural hibernation period.

They are going to be hibernating until the beginning of march, so 2 more months to give them the most natural environment.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 29 2016 - 2:15 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I do at least four months.

#5 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 29 2016 - 2:37 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I do at least four months.

I notice at about 2mos (I had a late start)... the Temnothorax are still a bit active at 45F, too warm or let them be?  I noticed the camponotus I found outside were like statues during hibernation, but not quite getting that with my camponotus, Temnothorax or Lasius.  

Edited by noebl1, December 29 2016 - 2:40 PM.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted December 30 2016 - 4:37 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I find it depends on the species and your local climate.

I have no problem using 3 months for most of my colonies/queens in their first hibernation.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline AntsMAN - Posted January 9 2017 - 6:08 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

I took all the first year colonies/queens out, 3 months 10 days hibernating. They all seem to have taken it well. I have them on heating cables and connected to small out worlds with food, but none of them have eaten yet. I assume they will take a while to fully come out of hibernation and start foraging. Its still very cold here with snow on the ground, will they know and continue to hibernate? I know some people reverse hibernate, so mine should be fooled into thinking winter is over?

The larger second year colonies are getting an extra month.

Current queens/colonies

Formica sp. x1

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#8 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted January 9 2017 - 1:20 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan
It can take the queen up to 2 weeks to become fully awake.

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users