• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Brisbane Australia ID Assistance #2 (7 Jan 17)

Best Answer Lemon07 , January 25 2017 - 10:39 PM

After her nanitics arrived i am 100% confident that she is Opisthopsis sp. :) thanks for trying to help earlier though :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Lemon07 - Posted January 7 2017 - 3:15 AM

Lemon07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Body:
1. Location of collection: Mt Cootha bushwalking trail

2. Date of collection: 7 Jan 17
3. Habitat of collection: Eeucalyptus forest
4. Length: 10mm
5. Coloration: Head: Black , Thorax Black then in the middle is orange and then black at the end , Gaster orange that transitions into black at the tip
6. Distinguishing characteristics: Large eyes positioned at the top corners of the head, jittery/ jerky steps
7. Anything else distinctive : NIL
8. Nest description: Unknown

Other Comments:

Based on the colouration, the position of the eyes and how the ant moves I'm fairly confident that she is Opisthopsis However i wasnt able to determine the species possibly rufithorax but i wasnt sure what do you guys think

15909297 1611711559136907 966212832 O
15902806 1611711589136904 80215119 O
15824713 1611711579136905 2006883746 O

Formicarium Colonies:

Aphaenogaster longiceps

Test Tube Colonies:

Camponotus aeneopilosus

Iridomyrmex sp

Opisthopsis rufithorax

#2 Offline Nexus - Posted January 7 2017 - 7:25 AM

Nexus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Sorry to disappoint but this is clearly not an Opisthopsis: the color may match but the morphology doesn't. Judging by these photos, I'd say this queen belongs to the Camponotus genus, at first sight I would have said Camponotus consobrinus but with a closer look, the colors don't correspond exactly. I'll try a little more digging later.

• Lemon07 likes this

#3 Offline Lemon07 - Posted January 7 2017 - 8:12 AM

Lemon07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Sorry to disappoint but this is clearly not an Opisthopsis: the color may match but the morphology doesn't. Judging by these photos, I'd say this queen belongs to the Camponotus genus, at first sight I would have said Camponotus consobrinus but with a closer look, the colors don't correspond exactly. I'll try a little more digging later.

that's unfortunate i felt her eyes and movement were extremely similar to what i had seen in opisthopis but I'm not the most experienced with identify queens so you may be right

Formicarium Colonies:

Aphaenogaster longiceps

Test Tube Colonies:

Camponotus aeneopilosus

Iridomyrmex sp

Opisthopsis rufithorax

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 7 2017 - 8:14 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

This is also definitely a Camponotus species

• Lemon07 likes this
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 7 2017 - 8:16 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

It could possibly be a morph of Camponotus Consobrinus species. I'm not too sure but I did a little research and I came up with these pictures:   http://imgur.com/a/KFYRb

http://imgur.com/a/pCbHw

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#6 Offline Lemon07 - Posted January 7 2017 - 8:19 AM

Lemon07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

It could possibly be a morph of Camponotus Consobrinus species. I'm not too sure but I did a little research and I came up with these pictures:   http://imgur.com/a/KFYRb

if we arent able to determine the species from just the queen i will update u guys in a month or so with pictures of nanitics ( assuming she is mated ) and we can maybe go from there ?

Formicarium Colonies:

Aphaenogaster longiceps

Test Tube Colonies:

Camponotus aeneopilosus

Iridomyrmex sp

Opisthopsis rufithorax

#7 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 7 2017 - 8:22 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

if we arent able to determine the species from just the queen i will update u guys in a month or so with pictures of nanitics ( assuming she is mated ) and we can maybe go from there ?

Good idea

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#8 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 7 2017 - 8:35 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Or you can leave this to one of the other members.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#9 Offline Nexus - Posted January 7 2017 - 8:58 AM

Nexus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Again,to me she belongs to the Camponotus nigriceps group but is difficult to distinguish the species of this group without a proper key. Here's a key if you want to identify the precise species of your ant: https://www.research..._from_Australia

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted January 7 2017 - 9:45 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Just so you are aware I am still learning myself. However once again I have to agree with Nexus. Other than some of the colors don't seem to quite match up, I think the best guess would be Camponotus nigriceps group.  However take anyone's advice here over my mine. :)

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#11 Offline CrazyLegs - Posted January 25 2017 - 2:23 PM

CrazyLegs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationVerrierdale, Queensland, Australia

She would be a lot larger than 10mm if she were a Camponotus nigriceps.

Her eye also looks particularly large.

Unfortunately Australia has a massive list of Camponotus and only the most common and easily recognizable ever seem to get proper identification. :)

Edited by CrazyLegs, January 25 2017 - 2:24 PM.

#12 Offline Lemon07 - Posted January 25 2017 - 10:39 PM   Best Answer

Lemon07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

After her nanitics arrived i am 100% confident that she is Opisthopsis sp. :) thanks for trying to help earlier though :)

• CrazyLegs likes this

Formicarium Colonies:

Aphaenogaster longiceps

Test Tube Colonies:

Camponotus aeneopilosus

Iridomyrmex sp

Opisthopsis rufithorax

#13 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted January 25 2017 - 11:04 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Now that I look at her, she does have those eyes.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes