• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

African ant 'supercolony' poised to invade the planet

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsMAN - Posted November 28 2016 - 8:48 AM

AntsMAN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Something else interesting to share.

http://www.cnbc.com/...the-planet.html

• ctantkeeper likes this

Current queens/colonies

Camponotus novaeboracensis x2

Camponotus pennsylvanicus x2

Camponotus herculeanus x1

Formica sp. x1

Lasius americanus x1  (Lasius alienus)

Lasius neoniger x1

Crematogastor cerasi x1

Myrmica sp. x1

#2 Offline dermy - Posted November 28 2016 - 9:07 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Until they survive Canadian Winters, I'm not gonna worry much about them taking over the planet :P

• LC3 and Canadian anter like this

#3 Offline Californian Anter - Posted November 28 2016 - 5:05 PM

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Good luck with Antarctica  :lol:

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#4 Offline MiaRose - Posted November 28 2016 - 8:28 PM

MiaRose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

You can't really invade something you're already in so yeah, more media hype based loosely off of what Scientists have said.

Currently Colonies:

Lasius Niger

Lasius Flavus

#5 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 28 2016 - 9:22 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Clickbait article to get more views. Nice job, media.

:>

#6 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 28 2016 - 10:46 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Yeah, I dunno. Any ant could be invasive in its non-native habitat.

Another one that has signs of invasiveness is Pheidole hyatti. In captivity, they produce vast amounts of brood and grow FAR quicker and bigger than any wild nest I find. The two colonies I had; grew, literally, as fast as my Solenopsis invicta I had.

#7 Offline Serafine - Posted November 28 2016 - 10:59 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

There's a massive number of invasive ant species and not every species becomes a problem. Tetramorium sp for example is definitely an invasive ant but it has become a naturalized invader in most places as it has found it's niche in the new ecosystems without completely throwing off balance.

And the there's global warming changing the face of our planet which also allows more ants from warmer regions to spread northwards ever further.

Edited by Serafine, November 28 2016 - 11:01 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#8 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted November 29 2016 - 7:14 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
They couldn't take over the world unless they adapt to the winters, but, as we have seen multiple times, this could happen. Argentine ants have been found in Illinois a few times, and so far there's one in Michigan, this worries me that they are adapting to the cold weather. Everyone reading, help to stop the spread of them, and I know that many will say that you're allowed to ship ants in certain areas, but don't ship these please. I like the diversity here :)
  • ctantkeeper and noebl1 like this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#9 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 29 2016 - 1:42 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

There are even Argentine ants in the United Kingdom of all places. The last place I'd ever imagine reading about Argentine ants residing there. Mostly in London, and mostly because all the cars/urban environments create a much warmer habitat. Even then, I don't imagine Winters being warm at all. Even if they went indoors, the UK is so cold and rather far up north, I'm surprised the Argentine ants are as successful as they are there. I'm sure even in London it gets incredibly cold in the Winter. I'd never have thought it possible Argentine ants could reside there. And yet, they are thriving.

#10 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 29 2016 - 3:35 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

They couldn't take over the world unless they adapt to the winters, but, as we have seen multiple times, this could happen. Argentine ants have been found in Illinois a few times, and so far there's one in Michigan, this worries me that they are adapting to the cold weather. Everyone reading, help to stop the spread of them, and I know that many will say that you're allowed to ship ants in certain areas, but don't ship these please. I like the diversity here :)

I watched a short video that talked about how Prenolepis imparis are one of the few ants that can stop the spread of argentine ants. It was pretty interesting.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#11 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 3 2017 - 11:22 PM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Very interesting. Although the ants would have to make it a priority to adapt to the climate. It just goes to show you shouldn't release ant colonies not native to your area

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users