• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Moving small colonies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline shaky33 - Posted January 1 2017 - 2:52 AM

shaky33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria, Australia

G'day all.

I have a few small colonies (of about 5-8 workers) and the water cotton in their test tubes is becoming quite moldy. These are my first queens and I would be devastated if they were killed by mold. I have tried taping the new test tube to the old one and coving it and shining light into the old one but the queen didn't want to leave. Please help out a newbie.

Cheers

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted January 1 2017 - 5:13 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Hmmm... We would need pics to see if the move is necessary

YJK

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted January 1 2017 - 6:22 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

It usually takes a few days to a few weeks for them to move. You might also try to heat the end of the tube the queen is in

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted January 1 2017 - 7:06 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
[old tube]---drinking straw---[fresh tube]

Just push the straw though the cotton (make sure it is being enough for the queen to pass) and wait until they move into the fresh tube (may take a few days).

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users