• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen ID - Dallas, TX Region - 12/27/2016

queen id

Best Answer Californian Anter , December 27 2016 - 10:03 PM

I'd say Solenopsis Invicta. Notice the two nodes, hair, antennal club, and coloration. Invicta is also know to be present in Texas.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline TreborS - Posted December 27 2016 - 9:47 PM

TreborS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

1. Collected in backyard grass and others on front yard driveway

2. 12/27/2016
3. North Texas
4. 6-7mm (a little over 1/4")
5. Amber and dark brown coloration, shiny, hair on abdomen
6. Pictures:

http://imgur.com/DbdVPBS

http://imgur.com/dZyZQIF

http://imgur.com/KR6tBZq

http://imgur.com/dZyZQIF

Thanks!

Edited by TreborS, December 27 2016 - 9:51 PM.

#2 Offline Californian Anter - Posted December 27 2016 - 10:03 PM   Best Answer

Californian Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

I'd say Solenopsis Invicta. Notice the two nodes, hair, antennal club, and coloration. Invicta is also know to be present in Texas.

Edited by Californian Anter, December 27 2016 - 10:07 PM.

Keeper of:

Camponotus Vicinus

Prenolepis Imparis

Tetramorium Sp. E x2

#3 Offline TreborS - Posted December 27 2016 - 10:22 PM

TreborS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

After googling images of Solenopsis Invicta queens, you very well may be correct. I hope you're not though, because I don't particularly want fire ants for my first colony!

Edited by TreborS, December 27 2016 - 10:23 PM.

#4 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 27 2016 - 10:57 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Fire ants are great species to have. They show lots of personality! :)

Also, a single fire ant sting doesn't hurt for me, though. A hundred stings, well, burn.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#5 Offline TreborS - Posted December 28 2016 - 7:04 AM

TreborS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Fire ants are great species to have. They show lots of personality! :)

Also, a single fire ant sting doesn't hurt for me, though. A hundred stings, well, burn.

Ha! Do you think they're good for a first colony? I've read they're quite the escape artists and require special habitats that they can't chew through. I also have two small children in the house. Not too worried about them getting into it, but it is a factor.

#6 Offline FSTP - Posted December 28 2016 - 7:12 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Welcome to Formiculture!

Just for future reference when you post a thread with pictures can you please imbed them in the post so people don't have to click a separate link. More people will see your pics this way. Someone people will open a thread see they have to click a separate link that takes them away from formiculture and just not bother looking.

Edited by FSTP, December 28 2016 - 7:13 AM.

• T.C. likes this

#7 Offline TreborS - Posted December 28 2016 - 7:16 AM

TreborS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Welcome to Formiculture!

Just for future reference when you post a thread with pictures can you please imbed them in the post so people don't have to click a separate link. More people will see your pics this way. Someone people will open a thread see they have to click a separate link that takes them away from formiculture and just not bother looking.

I actually tried using the embed image option with the Imgur links, but it just showed the default "broken" image icon after. And when I tried to upload using the built in media uploaded tool, it said I didn't have permission to upload files (maybe because I'm a new user)?

DbdVPBS

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted December 28 2016 - 7:40 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Welcome to Formiculture!

I actually tried using the embed image option with the Imgur links, but it just showed the default "broken" image icon after. And when I tried to upload using the built in media uploaded tool, it said I didn't have permission to upload files (maybe because I'm a new user)?

DbdVPBS

it worked for me? 

DbdVPBS.jpg

Edited by FSTP, December 28 2016 - 7:41 AM.

#9 Offline TreborS - Posted December 28 2016 - 8:09 AM

TreborS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Welcome to Formiculture!

DbdVPBS

it worked for me? 

Yeah, no clue why it's not working for me. Maybe my copy and paste game is too weak.

I do have a question though - is it possible for a nuptial flight to not result in fertilized queens? Seems like an odd time of year for a nuptial flight, but we did have rain and oddly warm weather (75 degrees) around Christmas.

#10 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 28 2016 - 9:07 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Solenopsis invicta is definitely the case. Coloration doesn't matter at all for invicta just so you know. I've found queens that are legit yellow red. (No they aren't geminata) Considering the measurements are accurate and since Solenopsis invicta cane through Mobile, Alabama, they have Reacked over Texas and Gulf States.

Edited by Alabama Anter, December 28 2016 - 9:09 AM.

YJK

#11 Offline TreborS - Posted December 28 2016 - 9:25 AM

TreborS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Solenopsis invicta is definitely the case. Coloration doesn't matter at all for invicta just so you know. I've found queens that are legit yellow red. (No they aren't geminata) Considering the measurements are accurate and since Solenopsis invicta cane through Mobile, Alabama, they have Reacked over Texas and Gulf States.

Are they worth keeping for a first timer? I'm a little nervous about the species since I've ready they grow fast and are escape artists!

#12 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 28 2016 - 11:46 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Invicta was my first ever species and with the right resources and right knowledge they are practically beginning species

YJK

#13 Offline Kevin - Posted December 28 2016 - 11:54 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

To embed images, go to the image and click "open image in new tab". The new url will most likely end in .jpg, and you want to post that link. I don't believe BBCode works on this forum, at least for a member to just type it in.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users