• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

THA Atom Nest w/Outworld + Inception Chambers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Guzzer - Posted December 19 2016 - 7:32 PM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

I have sent this same message to THA;

We recently recieved our order from THA Black Friday sales and..

We LOVE these products - the quality is amazing and they will look fantastic as center pieces in my house.

I have a question regarding the moving  of ants in to the chambers.

Currently I have all my ants located in test tubes (Dimension - 18D x 150H mm), just wondering how I can move them in.

For the Atom Nest egss I can get the queen to relocate through the nest mate but for the Inception chamber the test tube does not fit in the Fornicatium and there is no connection from the outside barrier to the chamber.

Any idea how I can move the queens without distubring her. Currently they all have eggs - no nanitics yet.
I can wait until she has some nanitics to perfor the move. Last time I moved a Queen, we used the method of dark destination - bright light old location. We moved her from a test tube with eggs to a mini hearth - she ended up eating her eggs and having start all over again

I was thinking perhaps connect a rubber tube to the test tube and connect it directly to the chamber within the Inception formicarium.

Any info would be much appreciated.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 19 2016 - 9:30 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I'm sure someone here with direct experience will chime in soon.

Until then, I can only say that the difficulty you're experiencing is caused by a mismatch between the imperial-sized holes (probably 1/2 inch, or 12.7 mm), and the 18 mm metric test tube.  You may need to fashion some sort of adapter to convert between the two different hole sizes.

Your relocation technique sounds adequate.  Just be patient and observant to avoid excessive stress, and you should be fine.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Guzzer - Posted December 19 2016 - 9:49 PM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Thank you for the reply.

The issue is mostly I can't lay flat the testube inside the formicarium aiming to the nest entrance

Here is a photo on what I mean:

https://imgur.com/gallery/eUWCd

So I am thinking a rubber tube from test tube to the nest.

#4 Offline FSTP - Posted December 19 2016 - 10:09 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

does the inception chamber have a small hole? if so you could just use a small piece of tubing that fits into the inception chamber and then connect it to the test tube using cotton.

#5 Offline Guzzer - Posted December 19 2016 - 10:14 PM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

does the inception chamber have a small hole? if so you could just use a small piece of tubing..

That's what I think I might actually do. Thanks

#6 Offline Annexis - Posted December 20 2016 - 11:52 AM

Annexis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Georgia

Just use some powertools and enlarge the hole, easy. Also please don't move your queen into there untill she's got like at least 4 nanitics. You don't wanna stress her too much.

• ctantkeeper likes this

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted December 20 2016 - 1:10 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Agreed with what Annexis said. If that is your "colony", wait until they outgrow the space. Moving a small colony or even just a queen is basically suicide for them in the wild.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#8 Offline Guzzer - Posted December 20 2016 - 2:52 PM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Thank you for the advice.

Also did receive an email from Mack (THA) with some advice, but I will wait until they have a few workers before I attempt the move.

I will probably do the test tube / rubber hose to ant nest once they look to be needing more space.

1st year with the Hobby - so much to learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users