• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Worker and Queen ID, fresno

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted December 17 2016 - 5:31 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Hi So today I "rescued" some ants. A friend informed me of some ants he knew of that were living under a log/brush pile on his property and that if I wanted I could come get them because he was going to have his ranch hand clear everything out for burning later on when/if they get burn permission. 

So I head over and when I get there his ranch hand has already started and was spraying down the pile with some kind of pesticide,he had mixed in oa pressure sprayer, he doesn't speak english so I couldn't figure out what he was spraying. So in a panic I asked him to stop so I could look under the logs and stuff. I did find a largish colony, so I stared collecting as much as I could of the ones that were still alive luckily the queen(what I'm assuming is the queen) was isolated and I grabbed her first then started sucking up the ants that were carrying brood. All in all I managed to get 100+ workers and whatever brood they were carrying. By the time I got home more then half had died. Now I have about 20 or so workers and whatever brood they were holding.

I left them in a large container misted them with water to try and wash off any lingering pesticide that they may have had. and after it dried I managed to get the surviving ants into a test tube.

heres the collection info

Date 12/17/16

habitat: under a 3' x14" oak log with other various branches piled upon it

Queen Size: About 10mm

worker Size: about 4mm

The queen is a black to dark brown with an interesting brownish sheen to her gaster when the light hits it from certain angles.

The workers panic easily and run around erratically then quickly settle and surround their remaining brood. 

Some of the workers are acting a bit strange but I think that still might be effects of whatever was being sprayed on the log/brush pile.

I didn't think to take pics while I was collecting them I was a bit distracted with the fact he was killing the ants I came to save and such but I've got them in a test tube now and here are some pics...

Also once i got them into the test tube I introduced them to some sunburst ant nectar and they immediately started to drink it up and one could see their gaster swell, so that was neat. 

I realize the pictures are bad, but here are the workers.

newant5_zpsdxcisgig.jpg

and workers with queen

newant4_zpsntcxlfzz.jpg

newant3_zpst124krxf.jpg

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted December 17 2016 - 6:12 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Lasius sp.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 17 2016 - 7:02 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Lasius sp.

Agreed.

YJK

#4 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 17 2016 - 10:07 PM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Lasius

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#5 Offline FSTP - Posted December 18 2016 - 2:17 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

this is what I figured but wasn't sure on the species. 

I found a few more worked dead this morning but so far the queen seems ok and is guarding the brood. I may try placing them in one of the new founding chambers I made if their numbers continue to diminish.

Edited by FSTP, December 18 2016 - 2:18 PM.

#6 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted December 18 2016 - 2:30 PM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

It looks like Lasius Niger.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 18 2016 - 3:48 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Lasius niger are present in CA according to AntMaps, but I would wait for BatSpiderFish

YJK

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 18 2016 - 6:44 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It does look like Lasius, but we can't see her very well. The range of Lasius niger is not clear -- I've only ever seen one positive ID from somewhere in the rockies. Most instances of Lasius niger are probably misidentifications.

This is most likely Lasius pallitarsis.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#9 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 18 2016 - 7:11 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

See? BatSpiderFish always nails it! :yahoo:

• AnthonyP163 likes this

YJK

#10 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 19 2016 - 8:00 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

It does look like Lasius, but we can't see her very well. The range of Lasius niger is not clear -- I've only ever seen one positive ID from somewhere in the rockies. Most instances of Lasius niger are probably misidentifications.

It could also be Lasius Neoniger, but they are a bit less common in CA. The same goes for Lasius Flavus and Lasius Alienus. But Lasius Pallitarsis is the most common out of all of them in CA.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#11 Offline LC3 - Posted December 19 2016 - 1:29 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

It could also be Lasius Neoniger, but they are a bit less common in CA. The same goes for Lasius Flavus and Lasius Alienus. But Lasius Pallitarsis is the most common out of all of them in CA.

Lasius neoniger although it can be found along the west coast is much more abundant in the east.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users