• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Why Does Mikey Bustos Hate Gamergate

mikey bustos gamergate hate city

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Simtoon - Posted December 15 2016 - 10:55 PM

Simtoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Why does mikey bustos hate our friends at https://www.gamergate.com.au

He keeps deleting our posts that relate to it 

Please ants canada lets make peace 

Edited by dspdrew, December 17 2016 - 6:35 PM.
Fixed uppercase title

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 15 2016 - 11:08 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Just so everyone is clear, I think this post is about silly Facebook drama.  Probably very few people here are going to know what's going on, or have any opinion on the matter.

But really, more posts were deleted from his group?

Edited by drtrmiller, December 15 2016 - 11:34 PM.

• jushi likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Simtoon - Posted December 15 2016 - 11:18 PM

Simtoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Just so everyone is clear, I think this post is about silly Facebook drama.  But really, more posts were deleted from the group?

All mikey does is delete posts from gamergate

#4 Offline AntsCanada - Posted December 15 2016 - 11:41 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Lol this is a topic? I don't hate Gamergate at all and love what Brendon is doing. He was recently banned from an ant group on FB for breaking one of the major rules, i.e. posting about selling/importing/exporting ants. We may have differing opinions on things but we both love ants and the hobby. That is all that happened and nothing elsse. No hate at all and no drama. :)

Edited by AntsCanada, December 15 2016 - 11:42 PM.

• Lemon07, Gabraime, AntsBC and 4 others like this
Ant love forever!
http://antscanada.com

#5 Offline AntsCanada - Posted December 15 2016 - 11:43 PM

AntsCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
*else.
  • jushi likes this
Ant love forever!
http://antscanada.com

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 16 2016 - 6:03 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

While I wouldn't say it "changes everything", at least you seem to be taking some high ground over Ants Kalytta, who have been caught smuggling hundreds of ants out of Australia. Still, an export license does not equal an import license, and the only people who are going to benefit from this are yourself and those who are already able to import ants.

Having said that, fascination with exotic ants is pretty symptomatic of somebody who barely knows anything about their local species -- all of the energy and resources that go into obtaining somebody else's local ants could have been spent on discoveries within their own ecosystem. Anyboody who thinks local ants are boring can't see the forest for the trees. AntsCanada doesn't want that.

Edited by Batspiderfish, December 16 2016 - 6:04 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 16 2016 - 6:17 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

https://www.gamergat...2016-have-begun

This is not in the Dolichoderinae subfamily, by the way. Looks like something from Formicinae. The antennal segment counts don't match up to Doleromyrma.

Hence why ant trade faces serious problems to begin with.

Edited by Batspiderfish, December 16 2016 - 6:27 AM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#8 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 16 2016 - 7:35 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

oh man. I just love seeing these posts about you mikey. All caps in the title, or some public shaming.

Kids annoy the (censored for drew) out of me.

• jushi likes this

#9 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 16 2016 - 7:50 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.
This topic was pointless, except to obviously get Mikey's attention. It's a simple misunderstanding.
  • CallMeCraven likes this

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#10 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 16 2016 - 1:39 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

POPULAR

I have a number of strong opinions on what is happening here.  But before I delve into them, I would like to separate out the facts of this specific situation from the broader—and I think more important—point that I would like to make, immediately following:

Case-specific facts:

I've said publicly and privately that an import and export license are both required for ants to be legally sold and shipped to buyers.  A responsible company will both defer to the judgment of individual states in how they issue such import licenses, as well as incorporate other externalities, such as the contentiousness of exporting ants to amaeteur hobbyists, before any exchange of goods takes place. Based on my discussions with the owner, I am certain Gamergate understands this 100%.

Currently, Australian ants only come into places like Europe through the black market, where the sole obstacle to obtaining them is the huge pricetag. If irresponsible, amateur hobbyists were the only market for Australian exports, Mikey would be right to ban such individuals from his group—but that's not the case. Being able to export from Australia legally, sustainably, and ethically, now means that North American and European museums, universities, and ant research labs will have a legitimate opportunity to display or study native Australian ants, and one can expect a pretty big commercial market for that alone, consisting of mature adults with generally flexible corporate spending accounts.

So, given the fact that Gamergate has only just announced that they are seeking to export, without any public details of how such a service would operate, or to whose benefit, we should condemn the decision to de-platform and isolate the site owner—who, in my opinion, is a quite mature and responsible individual—for allegedly expressing the desire to recklessly export ants to amateur hobbyists in other countries, when there's literally no evidence that this has happened yet, or would ever happen.

Let's assume, as Mikey apparently has, that Gamergate did intend to export to qualified hobbyists (say in Canada, where it's apparently easier to obtain an import license, for obvious reasons related to climate), even though Gamergate hasn't advertised as such yet. Well, as a mature and responsible individual, the exporter would be quick to learn of the possible legal and logistical challenges, never mind the extreme contentiousness within the scientific and hobby community (as evidenced by this reaction to the announcement), and would then reassess how best to accommodate all the parties involved to reduce, or ideally, eliminate conflict.

The problem here, with the facts I have, based on both public and private information, is that Mikey simply "banned" the Gamergate owner/author without any warning, and with no opportunity for education or explanation, as he does anyone who advertises the sale of ants not also advertised though his "Global Ant Nursery," or GAN program. While that is Mikey's right as the group administrator, it should also be said that the rigidity and callousness to which the zero-tolerance policy is applied will be sure to send disruptions and discord throughout the community both as we see now, and into the foreseeable future. If future Gamergate blog articles, unrelated to the sale of ants, are prohibited from appearing on the largest antkeeping hobbyist group on Facebook, in the same way that those grey and black market dealers and links to their respective websites are banned or taken down, then essentially, one individual (with a commercial conflict of interest, mind you) is picking and choosing who gets seen, and who remains hidden and obscured, which leads me to a more important point:

Broader point, opposing vendor-run communities:

As commercial vendors (Tar Heel Ants, Ants Canada, AntStore, etc.) continue to accumulate power and influence through social media, private groups, and business ventures, their ability to decide who's allowed into the mainstream online communities, or who's relegated to the fringes, will have an increasingly chilling effect on the ability of gifted hobbyists, makers, thinkers and innovators to be discovered, to succeed in connecting with antkeepers like your and me, and to remain as independent operators, free from monied influence. In my view, the designation of Gamergate as a prohibited resource in the largest, vendor-run Facebook group for antkeepers, and the banishment of its owner/author, would appear to be mainly a business decision made under the guise of scientific ethics, and that decision should alarm any and everyone with a stake in this hobby and community.

Independent forums and blogs like Formiculture and Gamergate will continue to be the only platforms where ideas may be promulgated freely, and individuals seen or heard, based on the popular merits of their contribution(s), with relatively little censure. Given the failed attempts by Ants Canada to absorb and acquire both (Formiculture and Gamergate), we should enjoy these freedoms while we still can.

Edited by drtrmiller, December 16 2016 - 3:53 PM.

• dspdrew, Reacker, MrILoveTheAnts and 16 others like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#11 Offline FSTP - Posted December 16 2016 - 2:05 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

A very salient post and message drtrmiller.

#12 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 16 2016 - 2:57 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Welp more complaining!!! Welp I will now run a buisness of selling cancer repellent to everyone! $60.00 for 6 spray bottles!!!

YJK

#13 Offline Kevin - Posted December 16 2016 - 3:07 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Welp more complaining!!! Welp I will now run a buisness of selling cancer repellent to everyone! $60.00 for 6 spray bottles!!!

Please keep the forum clean, this post alone is worse than the thread itself. Please learn how to act properly in public.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#14 Offline Serafine - Posted December 16 2016 - 3:33 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Continue like this and the Discord server will not remain the only place you've been banned from...

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#15 Offline Goldsystem - Posted December 16 2016 - 4:41 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Man oh man I'm sorry you've been publicly attacked so much lately mikey

#16 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted December 16 2016 - 7:55 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

So true

:>

#17 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 16 2016 - 8:51 PM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Yeah, now I feel bad I contibuted :(

btw, some of you might not know, but I'm the same age, as Alabama anter.... don't hate please :) 

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#18 Offline Reacker - Posted December 16 2016 - 9:42 PM

Reacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationFree State of Greater Potatonia

POPULAR

To those of you expressing unhappiness with Mikey being "publicly attacked" in this thread I would point out that while the original poster was hyperbolic in expressing his sentiment, drtrmiller's post contained not a personal attack but rather a well composed criticism of Mikey's actions in administering a public forum. The concerns iterated by drtrmiller seem to be shared by others in the ant community and it is quite reasonable to expect that Mikey should answer to these criticisms.

No one should be immune from critiques of their actions when they affect everybody in the larger community regardless of how nice a person they are

Edit

And to Alabama Anter: If you are unwilling to stop being toxic in threads that actually have relevance to you, please do the rest of the community a favor and stay out of the threads that are unrelated to you. Your attitude and general conduct are an embarrassment to yourself and to anyone else that has the misfortune to have their names and text appear anywhere near yours. 

Edited by Reacker, December 16 2016 - 9:45 PM.

• gcsnelling, dermy, benjiwuf and 12 others like this

#19 Offline T.C. - Posted December 16 2016 - 10:01 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

DELETED

Edited by T.C., September 17 2022 - 2:18 AM.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

#20 Offline T.C. - Posted December 16 2016 - 10:04 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

DELETED

Edited by T.C., September 17 2022 - 2:17 AM.

" Whatever You Are, Be a Good One "

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mikey, bustos, gamergate, hate, city

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users