• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello Australia!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Bcam43 - Posted December 12 2016 - 10:34 PM

Bcam43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Haha, thought I'd kick things off! 

I like this idea of localised sections within this forum!

I would encourage any Australians to make use of it!

Brendon.

• drtrmiller likes this

#2 Offline Mathiacus - Posted December 13 2016 - 12:11 AM

Mathiacus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia
This place used to be home. The community is awesome!

#3 Offline TomAU - Posted December 13 2016 - 12:23 AM

TomAU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello world

• Bcam43 likes this

#4 Offline Guzzer - Posted December 13 2016 - 4:39 AM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Awesome, looking forward to starting a thread / Journal to share my new found hobby!

#5 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted December 13 2016 - 7:56 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

hey

Edited by GeniusNutella12, December 13 2016 - 7:56 AM.

#6 Offline Lessian - Posted December 13 2016 - 4:14 PM

Lessian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yay for australian anters! 

#7 Offline AntVic - Posted December 23 2016 - 9:39 PM

AntVic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Nuptial flights are starting around victoria!

I was out looking in the park and caught a black ant queen, tubed her up and put her away in a dark warm spot, fingers crossed she gets a brood going soon!

On another note, the dominance of the black ants in my area (northern suburbs) is a worry, they are everywhere, I saw a large Mryemican queen that looked like she had just finished her flight and was looking for a spot on the ground, I thought I had hit the jackpot but when I got closer with my jar I could see she was being swarmed by black ant workers and was already pretty much finished. Imagine my dissapointment when I tried to help her and took my eyes away for a split second only to lose her, I hope she managed to find a safe spot to nest!

It could be that the larger red bull ant species would be finding it tough to establish nests in suburbia Melbourne due to the black ant dominance and aggression when encountered in numbers

Despite what a lot of the species maps say, I've seen heaps of the big red Myrmecan "inch ant and Jack jumper" nests in Victoria, but in more bushland areas. They would make such a good colony to observe and cultivate
  • CrazyLegs likes this

#8 Offline Guzzer - Posted December 24 2016 - 2:57 AM

Guzzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Today I went out nth West Melbourne suburbs and majority are Iridomyrmex cf. bicknelli, Iridomytmex Purpureus and Camponotus ants.

Not much variety in the inner suburbs.

Did manage to collect like 10 Iridomyrmex cf. bicknelli Queens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users