• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Are wild fruit flies safe for my queen ant?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SamKeepsAnts - Posted December 12 2016 - 7:42 AM

SamKeepsAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I have 2 queens who's first workers died so now I'm feeding them and I don't know if the fruit flies that came out of my apple are safe to feed them and are their any pesticides in them?

Owner of :

7 Founding Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#2 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 12 2016 - 8:18 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

You could always ask the fruit fies. Cuz they'll give you just as accurate answer as any of of us.

The problem with wild caught is that we don't know what they ate before you found them on an apple. They could have been in a garbage can eating and landing on diseased [censored]. They could have also came in contact with pesticides, and it just hasnt effected them yet. Most likely, you're safe. But there's always that "what if".

Edited by dspdrew, December 12 2016 - 4:36 PM.
Removed profanity

#3 Offline Miles - Posted December 12 2016 - 8:56 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

It's typically better to be safe than sorry, and wild-caught insects may have come into contact with pesticides, disease, or parasites. It is arguably better to culture your own feeder insects. It's quite easy, and I culture my own mealworms, fruit flies, and springtails. Fruit flies are especially easy, and you can pick up a tube of them from PetSmart or a jar from Petco.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#4 Offline Serafine - Posted December 12 2016 - 9:45 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

If they have been born in your home you can just hold them into freezing water for 5-10 seconds and remove all germs/parasites from them. After that you can even freeze them to be extra sure.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users