• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Chance of queen starving to death

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Offline T.C. - Posted December 5 2016 - 2:19 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Hello all, I just got done checking on my Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen with her larvae today. She is in hibernation with her larvae in the garage . I will for sure feed her when i take her out, but she seems a little too skinny to finish the rest of her hibernation? Will she make it by the looks of her? Should I take her out sooner than normal. She has been in for a little over a month.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted December 5 2016 - 2:27 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Add a drop of sugar water to the tube, that should do it.

Also does she have water in the tube? She NEEDS water.

Edited by Serafine, December 5 2016 - 2:28 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Goldsystem - Posted December 5 2016 - 2:42 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
She may also accept a fruit fly but us salt they prefer a drop of honey or humming bird nectar you can use tinfoil as a plate to keep your test tube clean

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted December 5 2016 - 5:59 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Add a drop of sugar water to the tube, that should do it.

Also does she have water in the tube? She NEEDS water.

Yes, it is just such a large test tube that it can't bee seen.

#5 Offline OTHER - Posted December 6 2016 - 1:32 AM

OTHER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I should just leave her be, and let her rest in her hibernation. Before she eats all the brood!
Camponotus is fully claustral, so she should be able to go without any food.

Taking her out make`s the chance on losing the brood bigger and bigger.

Check out my Youtube channel Here

Please like our Facebook!

#6 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted December 6 2016 - 4:05 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

It is just unusual for a Camponotus queen to be going through hibernation by herself, and that is probably why they are concerned. She can eat any of her larvae if she is actually that hungry.

• T.C. and OTHER like this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#7 Offline OTHER - Posted December 6 2016 - 4:19 AM

OTHER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

It is just unusual for a Camponotus queen to be going through hibernation by herself, and that is probably why they are concerned. She can eat any of her larvae if she is actually that hungry.

Yes she has the larvae if she needs food.
From my personal experience Camponotus just needs to be left alone to do well, especially in the beginning phase.

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted December 6 2016 - 6:41 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Ok, thank you guys. My queen was part of the second nuptial flight real late in the year. Towards the midst of fall it appeared that the larvae had stopped growing. A member here suggested that she may have stopped developing them in preparation for hibernation? Would you assume this is correct? That is why I put here in without waiting for workers

#9 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 6 2016 - 6:46 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Ok, thank you guys. My queen was part of the second nuptial flight real late in the year. Towards the midst of fall it appeared that the larvae had stopped growing. A member here suggested that she may have stopped developing them in preparation for hibernation? Would you assume this is correct? That is why I put here in without waiting for workers

My queen has 3 workers, and 13 larvae. The larvae stopped growing in September, so I put them in hibernation in the middle of October. It seems like they just hibernate whenever they feel like it.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#10 Offline Miles - Posted December 6 2016 - 7:01 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I very strongly recommend giving her the opportunity to take in some carbohydrates. A  sugar-water or honey-soaked q-tip on a piece of aluminum foil or wax paper can work. She is quite skinny, and after years of raising Camponotus, I know that feeding is essentially obligated when they look like her current condition. It's not certain that she'd consume the larvae - especially depending on how low the temperatures are. She may be unable to do so.

Edited by Miles, December 6 2016 - 7:02 AM.

• T.C. likes this

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#11 Offline OTHER - Posted December 6 2016 - 7:08 AM

OTHER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

My Camponotus herculeanus went in hibernation with 1 worker and 2 big larvae. (lost workers without any reason sadly)
I think ants with hibernation have a biological clock that makes them go in some sort of "sleep" around this period.

For example if I keep my Lasius niger on room temperature, they will hide in their tube.
They don't go out much, and they almost don't take any food. So they go in to some kind of hibernation regarding the high temperature.

When I observe this behavior, i slowly drop the temperature for them. Lowering there speed and needs for food.

Of course this is my personal experience  :)

• T.C. likes this

#12 Offline T.C. - Posted December 6 2016 - 7:41 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

I very strongly recommend giving her the opportunity to take in some carbohydrates. A  sugar-water or honey-soaked q-tip on a piece of aluminum foil or wax paper can work. She is quite skinny, and after years of raising Camponotus, I know that feeding is essentially obligated when they look like her current condition. It's not certain that she'd consume the larvae - especially depending on how low the temperatures are. She may be unable to do so.

Well, would she eat anything in hibernation, or should I take her out? She has been in for a little over a month now. I tried feeding her previously to hibernation, but she wouldn't eat anything.

#13 Offline AnthonyP163 - Posted December 6 2016 - 10:35 AM

AnthonyP163

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • LocationWaukesha, Wisconsin.

Well, would she eat anything in hibernation, or should I take her out? She has been in for a little over a month now. I tried feeding her previously to hibernation, but she wouldn't eat anything.
1 more month at least.

Ant Keeping & Ethology Discord - 2000+ Members and growing

Statesideants.com - order live ants legally in the US

#14 Offline T.C. - Posted December 6 2016 - 10:40 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Ok, thanks, to everyone who participated in this post and helped solve my problem. Truly apprceiated. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users