• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SunBurst Ant Nectar, They really enjoy it!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted December 4 2016 - 9:50 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

I got some more Sunburst Nectar thanks to the generous Voting giveaway that Byformica had. I had given a small drop to some Prenolepis imparis and they really like it. Essentially all the workers have become repletes. One has gotten so large I fear she'll pop, lol. 

Some crudely taken photos.

imparis1_zps6ptldkwb.jpg

imparis2_zps0knqfeyc.jpg

Turning to say hello:

imparis3_zpsfcamtmwd.jpg

Can they eat to much?

• drtrmiller and noebl1 like this

#2 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted December 4 2016 - 9:59 AM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

I got some more Sunburst Nectar thanks to the generous Voting giveaway that Byformica had. I had given a small drop to some Prenolepis imparis and they really like it. Essentially all the workers have become repletes. One has gotten so large I fear she'll pop, lol.

Some crudely taken photos.

imparis1_zps6ptldkwb.jpg

imparis2_zps0knqfeyc.jpg

Turning to say hello:

imparis3_zpsfcamtmwd.jpg

Can they eat to much?

XD so cool

YJK

#3 Offline Goldsystem - Posted December 5 2016 - 2:45 PM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
You should dye the ant nectar a different color so your p.imparis look like little jewels
  • T.C. likes this

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted December 5 2016 - 2:52 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I love the pics, especially as this is one of my dream species to keep.  I have one queen a fellow member was nice enough to give me back in August, but during the trip from his house to meet me, then to work for awhile, and then home, she ate all her eggs from the stress  :(  She's still alive, but not sure she'll make it thru hibernation (or even fertile as didn't drop wings.)  Good to know they like the Sunburst Nectar as I've heard they can be picky for some people.

#5 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 6 2016 - 6:09 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I'm really happy with the product as well. I gave it to some of my ants and got an awesome response out of them. Got some pics and videos.

#6 Offline Trailandstreet - Posted December 6 2016 - 1:25 PM

Trailandstreet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Prenolepis has replets, so it's not so surpprising, that the gaster ist at this size.

:hi: Franz

if you find any mistakes, it's my autocorrection. it doesn't speak english.

#7 Offline FSTP - Posted December 6 2016 - 1:53 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Yeah I wasn't surprised that their crops got so big, that's what they do. What I was surprised about was before the the SUnBurst I was feeding honey water and sugar water and only 2 of the 6 or so workers there are were being used as repletes. After I introduced them to the Sunburst all but one turned into repletes. 

They can be incredibly picky and so far SunBurst its the first thing they've taken with any modicum of aggression. They also will casually tac mealworm heads, but oddly just the head.

• drtrmiller likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users