• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Young colony feeding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Serafine - Posted December 2 2016 - 12:12 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

So my ant colony (1 queen, 4 workers) hasn't been foraging for days. They seem to have eggs but no larvae yet.

There is only one worker out at any time and I'm pretty it is the same all the time.

At first she took a lot of sugar and about half a dozen fruit flies (they were discarded in the outworld afterwards) then started to store them at the dry end of the tube (still two or three in there). I added squashed superworm bits and she went absolutely crazy over them sitting there for hours sapping up everything. Now they effectively canceled all foraging.

I guess they're just full with sugar water and superworm fluids up to point where they are fairly active inside their tube but won't go outside anymore.

How long can they last on these stored meals? A week? Two weeks? I don't want to add food to their outworld just to throw it away when they didn't touch it.

Should I add food that doesn't spoil like crystalline sugar or honey (and maybe something like protein bar crumbs or almond bits) so they have something when they get hungry?

Edited by Serafine, December 2 2016 - 12:13 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#2 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted December 2 2016 - 1:53 PM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

I don't have much experience but I think that if the worker that is foraging starts going in the outworld again it's probably looking for food.

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#3 Offline Serafine - Posted December 2 2016 - 1:57 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well, problem is she's pretty shy and nocturnal - I usually only catch her by accident when walking into the room at night turning the light on and she can't get back into the tube fast enough. She really doesn't like light, not at all.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users