• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Id this queen please (7/12/2014)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline EDM - Posted July 12 2014 - 10:49 AM

EDM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

This guy flew into my car back in mid May. I first tried to catch her in it but I thought she flew out. Turns out she was still in my car the next day and I caught her and put her in a test tube set up. I live in Knoxville (eastern Tennessee). There are trees/bushes/grasses everywhere up here. She now has 4-5 eggs and two cocoons. She barely fits in her setup and I see her pulling at the cotton on both sides every once in awhile. I hope the pictures help and I can always get more. Thank you for the help. 

Attached Images

• ANT1.jpg
  • ANT2.jpg
  • ANT3.jpg

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 12 2014 - 1:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It looks like Camponotus to me, possibly C. nearcticus?

#3 Offline EDM - Posted July 12 2014 - 1:59 PM

EDM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks so much for replying to my post. I looked up C. Nearcticus. I could not find a picture of a queen that looks like this one. However, I did read where they can actually differ in colors and markings so I suppose it can be that. How certain would you say you are that it is at least a camponotus, carpenter ant? I once had harvester ants when I lived out in AZ but this is exciting. I have always wanted one. 

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted July 12 2014 - 4:42 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I'm not all that sure about any of that, looking at those pictures, but it does look a lot like Camponotus. The only thing I'm sure about is that it's a formicine. If it is Camponotus, then it's a smaller species.

#5 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 13 2014 - 12:23 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Definitely not C. nearcticus. C. nearcticus will have a much longer thinner gaster. If this is Camponotus I'd guess more closely looking to C. caryae though I'm not completely familiar with the species in your particular region.

Do you mind giving a size in mm as well as any details of colloration or anything else interesting about her? Also a picture from the side could be useful.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted July 14 2014 - 7:42 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Definitely a Camponotus, look at the head and build.

Here is a list of Tennesse's Camponotus species: http://www.antweb.or...t=tennesseeants

There only seem to be a few mostly/solid black Camponotus.  We would need good close pictures to really ID her well.

If she is under 12mm, then she is Camponotus nearcticus.  If she is over 15mm, then she is Camponotus pennsylvanicus.

PS. photobucket.com and other free picture hosting services work well to upload large pictures.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline Mercutia - Posted July 14 2014 - 12:23 PM

Mercutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Camponotus caryae is also all black and extends into his region. I still have high doubts that it's C. nearcticus.

#8 Offline EDM - Posted July 14 2014 - 3:31 PM

EDM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Ahhh thanks for all the help/input. It know these are not the best pics for identifying but it does look very similar to that caryae. If I had a ruler at hand I would measure it, that's why I left the dime. Ill go with that for now. I have one more ID to post which ill get to sometime hopefully soon. Thanks. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users