• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

2 Wild Camponotus too close?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted November 20 2016 - 1:41 PM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Hello, I turned a log and saw 2 Camponotus Rufipes about 1cm of each other under the same log. Is this normal?

AQOkOHd.jpg

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted November 20 2016 - 3:06 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Yes. I've found lasius under rocks with only a tiny bit of dirt separating them.

• AntsBrazil likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted November 20 2016 - 5:37 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

I will say that's pretty impressively close, but I currently have three first year Camponotus colonies I collected while trying to get some pupae for boosting purposes. All three were from a 2-3 foot section of one side of one particular log.

I get the feeling that logs with the right of decay so as to be both secure and easily workable by a founding queen are relatively rare and in high demand.

#4 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted November 20 2016 - 8:13 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

that's nothing, i've found 6 lasius SP queens in the same log. the log was ~ 2 feet long and 5 inches thick. in my area its almost 100% if i find 1 lasius queen, ill find another in the same log.. no idea why

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted November 21 2016 - 12:35 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Probably because the number of habitable logs is vastly outshined by the number of queens looking for a new home. And then the ants usually have a relatively limited flight range (unless they start at a hillside where they can get carried for kilometers when picked up by the wind they most likely don't fly very long distances) which further reduces the number of reachable logs.

I guess most of them will engage in wars over their logs somewhere in spring which leads to all colonies except one getting eradicated. You can see this with Tetramorium quite frequently around spring/early summer (although they don't live in logs but under sidewalks, larger stones and lawns) when they erupt from underground and fight for hours, sometimes days.

(RIFA does something similar, except they don't kill off other RIFA colonies but instead absorb them. If you look for RIFA during early summer and you're lucky you might find nests with up to 50 queens. The workers later usually kill all but one queen though.)

Edited by Serafine, November 21 2016 - 12:38 AM.

• AntsBrazil likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users