• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is it too late for Solenopsis molesta?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 28 2014 - 1:06 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I've recently just got into S. molesta and I really want a colony, is there a way to get one this time a year or did they already fly? Is it possible to did up a small colony of them?

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 28 2014 - 1:16 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They seem to fly all summer long in some places.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted August 28 2014 - 1:42 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

They don't dig very deep in places where they are common.

Try turning over stones and bits of wood (especially in gravel parking lots and storage area).  Look for very tiny yellow ants.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 29 2014 - 12:45 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

Ha, just dug up an intire mature S. molesta colony with a single queen. Also is it better to have more than one queen? Like is there a population difference?

#5 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 29 2014 - 3:17 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Overall Population Limit = Food and Space provided for them.

Overall Colony Growth Speed= Amount of queens.

#6 Offline Alza - Posted August 29 2014 - 4:47 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

is molesta supposed to eat other colonies pupae ? because i wouldn't want to  make my ants have a throw down. also do all fire ants do the same thing ? i read somewhere that they raid alot,  i don't want my ants to get dropped in battle. so how do you peacefully keep fire ants ?

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 29 2014 - 6:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Your ants should not be coming into contact with any other ants unless there's something wrong with your formicarium.

#8 Offline Alza - Posted August 29 2014 - 6:25 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

so how do you peacefully keep fire ants ?

#9 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted August 29 2014 - 8:19 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They do not come in contact with other ants, they are just like any other species. You give them a protein- insects or chicken, sugar- usually in the form of sugar water, and water.

#10 Offline Alza - Posted August 29 2014 - 10:52 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

ohhhhhhh so i should keep fire ants, aight got you! also can somebody find good ant hunting spots in LA ? i feel like we have nothing and i have never seen solenopsis molesta

#11 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 29 2014 - 11:21 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

ohhhhhhh so i should keep fire ants, aight got you! also can somebody find good ant hunting spots in LA ? i feel like we have nothing and i have never seen solenopsis molesta

There are no good spots in the city. If you want to find something good, you need to go into the mountains or the hills near LA.

#12 Offline Alza - Posted August 29 2014 - 11:25 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

the mountains or the hills ? uh.. does that involve rattle snakes, steep climbs, mountain lions, and ground nesting wasps ? tell me where to go plox and how to avoid the 4 listed

#13 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 30 2014 - 12:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

the mountains or the hills ? uh.. does that involve rattle snakes, steep climbs, mountain lions, and ground nesting wasps ? tell me where to go plox and how to avoid the 4 listed

I think you need to start doing some Googling.

#14 Offline Alza - Posted August 30 2014 - 12:14 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

lol i saw some kind of ant map, made by "andrew" and i found a person on youtube with the same first name. also if your a gan farmer that means we have met irl 

#15 Offline dspdrew - Posted August 30 2014 - 10:38 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Those would probably all be me. I am the only GAN farmer in Southern California.

#16 Offline Alza - Posted August 30 2014 - 10:43 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

ma boy you got the skills

you probably don't know me but I'm going to buy the leaf cutters from you :)

#17 Offline Crystals - Posted August 31 2014 - 6:59 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

You may want to start with an easier species just for learning.  Don't get any high maintenance ants for at least 1-2 years.  High maintenance would leaf cutters, fungus growers, and other very specialized ants.  They may look cool and neat, but any error could result in the loss of your colony as they are less forgiving of mistakes than other ants.

Solenopsis are hardy, as well as many other species.  Fire ants are almost bullet proof (although considering they are escape artists and have a powerful sting I am not sure I would keep them).

Not sure if you found or read these threads yet, but I like to recommend them to the newer members.  Especially when they are trying to get their first colony.

Beginner's Ant Guide: http://forum.formicu...-for-beginners/

Formicarium pictures: http://forum.formicu...-and-outworlds/

How to find queens (this is for more northern locations, but gives some ideas for finding them in more urban areas as well): http://forum.formicu...queens +alberta

You will be amazed at how many ants you can find just in the city park, under a log, in a branch, etc.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#18 Offline Alza - Posted August 31 2014 - 7:16 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

idk if i will be able to get any leaf cutters next year, but i don't want to kill off a colony .-. ill stick to fire ants and honey pots. btw can solenopsis invicta and xyloni escape test tubes ?

and i hear they can eat through their homes, what do i do about that ?

#19 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted August 31 2014 - 8:30 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

You may want to start with an easier species just for learning.  Don't get any high maintenance ants for at least 1-2 years.  High maintenance would leaf cutters, fungus growers, and other very specialized ants.  They may look cool and neat, but any error could result in the loss of your colony as they are less forgiving of mistakes than other ants.

Solenopsis are hardy, as well as many other species.  Fire ants are almost bullet proof (although considering they are escape artists and have a powerful sting I am not sure I would keep them).

Not sure if you found or read these threads yet, but I like to recommend them to the newer members.  Especially when they are trying to get their first colony.

Beginner's Ant Guide: http://forum.formicu...-for-beginners/

Formicarium pictures: http://forum.formicu...-and-outworlds/

How to find queens (this is for more northern locations, but gives some ideas for finding them in more urban areas as well): http://forum.formicu...queens +alberta

You will be amazed at how many ants you can find just in the city park, under a log, in a branch, etc.

With the fire ant thing about them being bullet proof, do you mean with all or most Solenopsis or just actuall fire ants?

#20 Offline Alza - Posted August 31 2014 - 8:41 AM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

what happens if a queen escapes and starts a colony in your area and it spreads ? that would actually be cool, in my area we have nothing but argentine ants 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users