• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New Messor barbarus colony!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline emmcf - Posted November 16 2016 - 12:25 PM

emmcf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi,

I've recently bought a Anthouse Biorama Big Formicarium which came with a free colony of Messor barbarus. I've never kept them before so just wondering if anyone had any useful tips to help me out, Thanks :)

410hrTFmTwL._SL150_.jpg

Lasius niger

Messor barbarus 

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted November 16 2016 - 12:35 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

They do NOT eat sugar or drink sugar water/honey water.

Messor are seed-gatherers so you feed them with bird seeds, sesame seeds and other stuff (you can try if they like apples, oranges, nuts or almonds as well). They still need to eat dead insects (mealworms, spiders, flies, roaches) but only react to sugar when they need water (so not at all or poorly if they have enough water). Since they store a lot of seeds Messor colonies are prone to mold, so keep an eye on that.

Edited by Serafine, November 16 2016 - 12:38 PM.

• T.C. likes this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Nexus - Posted November 16 2016 - 1:16 PM

Nexus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

They still need to eat dead insects (mealworms, spiders, flies, roaches)

Messor barbarus fed with only seeds will survive perfectly well since seeds contains a lot of proteins.

Otherwise I agree with what Serafine said. I will add that small colonies will prefer small seeds rather than big ones. Oh and if you plan to put them directly in a nest, there has to be a dry zone that will serve as attic as they have a tendency to store seeds in the nest. And as you know seeds+water=germination. So a dry zone is important.

They are very sensitive to light but if exposed continuously to light, they will get used to it.

#4 Offline OTHER - Posted November 16 2016 - 2:09 PM

OTHER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

My Messor barbarus grow up with small insects, not seeds.
Chewing seeds into "ant bread" takes time and energy witch small colonies usually do not have.
In my experience giving small insects in the starting period is more important then supplying seeds.

Check out my Youtube channel Here

Please like our Facebook!

#5 Offline Nexus - Posted November 17 2016 - 4:48 AM

Nexus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

In my experience, there has been no significant changes of development when I gave insects in addition to seeds.

The only way for the workers of this genus to get glucose (sugar) is by chewing the seeds. And most of their energy comes from the degradation of glucose. So I don't see how a colony can survive with only insects to eat.

Edited by Nexus, November 17 2016 - 7:42 AM.

#6 Offline emmcf - Posted November 21 2016 - 7:07 AM

emmcf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks for all the advice :)

Lasius niger

Messor barbarus 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users