• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Forelius or Dorymyrmex?

Best Answer James C. Trager , November 13 2016 - 7:37 AM

The first pic is Dorymyrmex bureni. The others also appear to be. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Aaron567 - Posted November 12 2016 - 3:49 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

I have a species of ants at my house that is really common, and I thought they were all Dorymyrmex bureni. Most of them are, but I still see some ants that look very similar to Dorymyrmex, but have some different features. And I think those might be Forelius. They don't have a pyramid shape on the top of their thorax, but I do not know if there are Dorymyrmex that also lack this. So can someone tell me if they think these are Forelius? They tend to have larger gasters and are also larger ants in general. Some can be up to 5mm and they have more yellow in their gaster than Dorymyrmex do. 

Here is what I think may be Forelius. I took these pictures a long time ago, and they are a little blurry. Notice the absence of the pyramid shape.

image_zpsyxqx8oyx.jpeg

Here is what I know is Dorymyrmex bureni. I have a small colony of these.

IMG_7108_zpsfebavsxi.jpgIMG_7106_zpsepi5mrcv.jpg

IMG_7032_zpsu3tr7js5.jpg

Can anyone confirm that the species at the beginning of this post are Forelius?

#2 Offline James C. Trager - Posted November 13 2016 - 7:37 AM   Best Answer

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

The first pic is Dorymyrmex bureni. The others also appear to be. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users