• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

--

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 2 2016 - 10:01 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

--

Edited by Vendayn, January 1 2021 - 10:56 PM.

• Kevin, AntsBrazil and ThePygmyMammoth like this

#2 Offline Goldsystem - Posted November 3 2016 - 9:25 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
Very cool tons of info, I want leaf cutters but live in Oregon I heard one of my family members talking about a swarm of ants carrying leaves near the Redmond caves, so I will be investing that area this spring. Do you know if any fungus growers are in Oregon?

#3 Offline Loops117 - Posted November 3 2016 - 10:06 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

I'm very happy you made this a separate post rather then in your journal. Very informational.

I too am going to be on the lookout for harvester ants this coming spring. Still gotta do my research on what species we have in michigan.

#4 Offline AntsBrazil - Posted November 3 2016 - 10:26 AM

AntsBrazil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Thanks for all the info, I captured 2 acromyrmex queens today ( http://www.formicult...een/#entry43485), someone on facebook said that it is Acromyrmex coronatus, and really seems to be. I wounder if my Acromyrmex will be similar to keep. I captured them where I live so I think that the temperature won't be a big problem(I hope). 

Do you know if I need to give the queen some plants in the founding stage?

Owner of:

Atta sexdens

Camponotus rufipes

Camponotus cf. puntulactus

Pachycondyla striata

Solenopsis saevissima

#5 Offline spider_creations - Posted November 4 2016 - 10:14 AM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
So far Acromyrmex vericolor have been fun for me, I still have around 20 queens and a good ain't of breed for this slow growing species. Vendayn I hope to learn alot from you and drew. I can wait til next year Becuase I can't wait to go down near the border to get atta mexiana

#6 Offline Kevin - Posted November 4 2016 - 5:14 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Well, now all you gotta do is write a novel for all the other species of ants ;)

Edited by Kevin, November 4 2016 - 5:14 PM.

• YsTheAnt likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#7 Offline Vendayn - Posted November 5 2016 - 6:37 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

--

Edited by Vendayn, January 1 2021 - 10:57 PM.

#8 Offline Mdrogun - Posted November 5 2016 - 6:47 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I'm very happy you made this a separate post rather then in your journal. Very informational.

I too am going to be on the lookout for harvester ants this coming spring. Still gotta do my research on what species we have in michigan.

According to Antweb.org you have no "harvester" ants in your area. I'm sure some species do collect seeds though. Also, I would take Antweb.org's listings with a grain of salt. They've been wrong before.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#9 Offline PogoQueen - Posted May 2 2020 - 7:03 AM

PogoQueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
This was very informational, thank you for sharing ❤️

#10 Offline Vendayn - Posted May 2 2020 - 9:54 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

--

Edited by Vendayn, January 1 2021 - 10:57 PM.

#11 Offline BroJack - Posted October 28 2020 - 1:27 PM

BroJack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Great post with a lot of excellent information! I am in my first year of successfully raising A. versicolor and have several multi-queen colonies going using hydrostone petri-dishes with out-worlds attached. In addition to the colonies that I am raising, I have several ant-keeping friends who are also raising ones that I got them using the same set-ups. I don't know of any crashes yet. Some had to have their fungus supplemented with fungus from more successful growers. Right now all of the colonies are doing well with excellent fungus growth and ants in all stages of life. Keeping rose petals, mesquite leaves, steel cut oats, and chichlid pellets in the out-worlds.

Your post started me thinking about temperature and I think part of my success was putting them into my antroom (temp ranges 81-85) early on has helped out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users