• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

All my winged queens died

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted November 2 2016 - 1:18 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

If you read my introduction thread you'll know that I went anting for the first time over the weekend. The first day I caught some winged queens that were just wandering around the ground. The second day I ended up digging a few queens out of their claustral chambers. 

I just checked on my queens and all the ones that still had wings are curled up dead. All the other queens are fine. 

Could I have over stressed them when they were collected? Unlike the queens I dug up which I let just crawl into a container. The ones with wings I just picked them up by their folded wings. Was this an incorrect method for collection?

I know ants die this just what they seem to do sometimes, but would just like to know if I did something wrong. 

Thanks for your time,

Jess

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted November 2 2016 - 2:40 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
Winged queens could possibly be infertile, which could be the reason for death. The queen would lose its wing fat before it gets workers and die of starvation. As she isn't going to get workers, it's quite likely. Also, curled wings can mean old wings to, as I've noticed my infertile queens with wings have moldy curled up, shriveled wings.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 2 2016 - 5:30 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I really thought she would have removed them by now but the one Tetramorium queen that I have still has her wings...partially.. It was like they are clipped. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#4 Offline noebl1 - Posted November 2 2016 - 5:40 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I really thought she would have removed them by now but the one Tetramorium queen that I have still has her wings...partially.. It was like they are clipped. 

Same there here too with my tetramorium queens.  My Lasius on the other hand for the most part dropped their wings within seconds of hitting the ground.

#5 Offline sgheaton - Posted November 2 2016 - 6:28 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Out of all the tetramorium queens that I collected this year -- all but this one removed their wings within..like a day of capture. Some were collected without wings. I was initially concerned by this though she doesn't seem to be affected/bothered/hurting by it. She has had workers ride ontop of them -- that's when I thought they would help remove them. She doesn't seem bothered -- I quit fretting about it. Going to put her into hibernation with them and hope she still has them on return... 

So kinda like "Much4TheGoods" and his spasm having queen -- Taking all bets for when my tetramorium queen finally loses her wings!!!!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#6 Offline benjiwuf - Posted November 2 2016 - 7:09 AM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany
I have several Tetramorium with full wings and workers. It's actually quite cool to see. However, I pick some up by wings when they don't give me another option. I prefer to let them wander into my collection vial when I can. As to why they died...there are really a lot of factors including just not being fit to survive or infertility.

Edited by benjiwuf, November 2 2016 - 7:11 AM.

#7 Offline Kevin - Posted November 2 2016 - 11:07 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

One of my pheidole queens had workers with wings, but they drowned in honey. If a winged queen is successful, especially smaller queens, I recommend manually gently removing the wings for the queen's safety, don't force it if they don't pull off easily.

Edited by Kevin, November 2 2016 - 11:08 AM.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#8 Offline FSTP - Posted November 2 2016 - 9:42 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

thanks for you replies!

Do perhaps it wasn't collecting them by there wings they would have just been weak ants. At least their bodies didn't go to waste I fed them to my Avatar.

#9 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 3 2016 - 8:07 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

I have caught many queens with wings and not many of them died...

Just my experience though, but the ones that did die either died of my lamp or just dropped dead for the reasons listed above, really :(

:>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users