• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Translucent substrate

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 29 2016 - 9:51 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Earlier today, I stumbled upon Crystal's guide to materials and found that a small portion of the list was dedicated to agar (100 % agar used in cooking, not in "gel ant farms"). I thought to myself whether or not mold proof variants of agar exist and how you would go about watering the material. I am not trying to recommend using the material as a nutritional substitute, but more as a building and hydrating material. If such a thing exists, I would be quite eager to know. If anyone has any info on the topic or similar transparent gelatin / clay like materials, please post below as soon as you can!!! In my opinion, If such a material can be found, It would  completely change the way we think about substrate-based formicaria.

#2 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 29 2016 - 12:15 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Very small glass micro-beads may also serve as an excellent mold-resistant substrate. but these will still be prone to tunnel collapses like other dry, granular substrates. It will also, of course not be as clear as agar.

Edited by ctantkeeper, October 29 2016 - 12:18 PM.

#3 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 29 2016 - 12:45 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

If the substance used to create the outer lining of water crystals could be harnessed, it wouldn't be hard to create a small cube of crystal clear, hydrophobic, mold resistant gel (apparently gel beads used water plants come as cubes as well.). glass beads of varying sizes can also be added to provide the ants with different varieties of substrate as well as small obstacles for them to dig around.

Edited by ctantkeeper, October 29 2016 - 1:11 PM.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 29 2016 - 3:32 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
You realize glass beads are little different than spherical grains of sand, right?

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Salmon - Posted October 29 2016 - 5:10 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

And you can't see through either.

#6 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 29 2016 - 7:17 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Yes, I am very much aware of the fact that artificially created beads of sand will behave very differently than sand. and as for clarity, I cannot stress this enough, PLEASE read my previously written posts. I actually first mentioned my ideas on Crystal's page and waited eagerly for a response and only got one 3-4 hours later that just had repeated one of the points that I have already made. I am not trying to be a pain or anything of that sort, I am just a bit frustrated / want some positive feed back and info. This is also a bit of a pet peeve for me, personally. 

Here is what I said in the post that discussed the glass micro beads word for word : "It will also, of course not be as clear as agar."

Edited by ctantkeeper, October 29 2016 - 7:20 PM.

#7 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 29 2016 - 7:22 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

You realize glass beads are little different than spherical grains of sand, right?

Yes, I am very much aware of the fact that artificially created beads of sand will behave very differently than sand. I didn't say that this was the way of the future or even recommending it in the slightest. I was just thinking allowed. 

#8 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted October 29 2016 - 8:05 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

This substrate seems as if it is very prone to tunnel collapse, otherwise, I would go for it...

:>

#9 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted October 29 2016 - 9:57 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Again everyone, please read my previously written posts!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users