• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Metal Mesh Wanted

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shareallicu - Posted October 26 2016 - 4:33 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Where can I buy some mesh screen so that my harvester ants cannot chew through it.  I can't find anything cheap! 

My ants already chewed through some cloth mesh lol

They are feisty haha :D

I need cheap metal (or strong) but flexible mesh with tiny openings thanks if you have any ideas. Amazon is expensive!

#2 Offline RenDragon - Posted October 26 2016 - 4:44 PM

RenDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

They make metal screens for water barrels and water collection. Have you checked Home Depot or Lowes?

#3 Offline ParaStatic - Posted October 26 2016 - 5:36 PM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Where can I buy some mesh screen so that my harvester ants cannot chew through it.  I can't find anything cheap! 

My ants already chewed through some cloth mesh lol

They are feisty haha :D

I need cheap metal (or strong) but flexible mesh with tiny openings thanks if you have any ideas. Amazon is expensive!

How much are you looking for, I could probably list some on my store anttopia.com that I use for my outworlds and Modular Micro nests.

Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

#4 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 26 2016 - 10:46 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If you want something really cheap, get a dollar store splatter screen.

• Crystals and ParaStatic like this

#5 Offline Kevin - Posted October 27 2016 - 2:45 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey
If you go on ebay, there's a ton of options for metal micron mesh. I suggest 150 microns.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#6 Offline ParaStatic - Posted October 27 2016 - 7:24 AM

ParaStatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA
I have noticed the dollar stores around me moved to aluminium meshe's on the splatter screen. EBay is a good alternative though. :)
Owner and operator of Ant-topia, find me on Facebook at https://m.facebook.com/ant-topia

#7 Offline Shareallicu - Posted October 27 2016 - 3:22 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Okay thanks for all the suggestions.  I don't shop on Ebay so I will check out dollar stores and lowes.  We don't have a home depot near us as far as I know.

parastatic, I don't need a lot, a few feet should probably be plenty.  I plan to convert my aquarium into an antarium lol  I just need enough to cover the top, so 3'x1.5' is probably good, although I haven't measured it, I just eye-balled it for now lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users