• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

OMG!!!! QUEEENS! Help please!

queen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 17 2016 - 12:52 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

OKAY SO! Today was so beeping awesome for me I got my first two queens! There were over 3000 at the least of alates in the same 3 feet and they were right in front of the entrance to my basement and they were walking up very high up the walls and then flying off. And basicaly. I found two queens without wings... Well... I hope they are queens. Due note I have never in my LIFE had a queen before so I am very excited. However I have studied the anatomy of queens compared to majors and workers, and I know the differences, but I fear there is still something I a missing. I will show a picture of the big queen later and ask about it, but as for one... I live in NEw Jersey, and one of the two queens I cought, is the size of a prenolepsis imparis WORKER but it looks like a queen! It has a huge abdomen, its messosoma is correctly shaped and its just!!! Small... SO is there any species of ant that has a queen that small? I will ask about the bigger queen later!

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted October 17 2016 - 1:23 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

You probably found a prenolopsis worker full of liquid and expanded. Pictures help.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 17 2016 - 1:40 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

You probably found a prenolopsis worker full of liquid and expanded. Pictures help.

Aye I can understand. Sorry about that, But now that I see it it is actually a bit tinier then a prenolepsis worker anyway. I highly doubt it is a filled up replete. 

http://ctrlv.in/866576

Sorry for bad quality!

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 17 2016 - 1:42 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
Yes I think it is definitely is a queen but we need wayyyyyy clearer pics please

YJK

#5 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 17 2016 - 1:48 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Yes I think it is definitely is a queen but we need wayyyyyy clearer pics please

Lol yes I need to get a camera other then the one on my phone.

#6 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted October 17 2016 - 1:51 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado
I use my phone and I get good pics...

YJK

#7 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 17 2016 - 2:02 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

I use my phone and I get good pics...

I don't believe every phones camera is the same...

Edited by CamponotusLover, October 17 2016 - 2:02 PM.

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 17 2016 - 2:10 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

You also *need* a measurement for every ID request.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#9 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 17 2016 - 2:14 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

You also *need* a measurement for every ID request.

Like I said.. It is slightly smaller then a prenolepsis imparis WORKER. And I don't have proper measurment equipment.

#10 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 17 2016 - 3:05 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Probably Brachymyrmex depilis, then, based on your description. Not smaller than a Prenolepis imparis worker, but still quite small.

Edited by Batspiderfish, October 17 2016 - 3:06 PM.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#11 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 17 2016 - 3:08 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Probably Brachymyrmex depilis, then, based on your description. Not smaller than a Prenolepis imparis worker, but still quite small.

Wow thanks!

#12 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 17 2016 - 3:13 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Are they claustral?

#13 Offline andSocks - Posted October 17 2016 - 3:24 PM

andSocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

My Brachymyrmex sp. is fully claustral.

#14 Offline XZero38 - Posted October 18 2016 - 5:47 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

i would just use a ruler and get as close as you can for measurements, that's what I've done with my past ID requests.

here are the guide lines for requesting an ID, giving as much of this info as you can really helps out.

http://www.formicult...t-a-new-thread/

#15 Offline Goldsystem - Posted October 18 2016 - 8:11 AM

Goldsystem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWichita Kansas
There is a ant ID sub section here on formiculture, I'd suggest mov ring this post there and also reading the guide lines posted by XZero38 :)

Edited by Goldsystem, October 18 2016 - 8:12 AM.

#16 Offline Miles - Posted October 18 2016 - 8:29 AM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I agree, this is probably Brachymyrmex depilis, and yes, queens!

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#17 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 18 2016 - 10:18 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

I agree, this is probably Brachymyrmex depilis, and yes, queens!

:D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users