• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test Tube Drying Out

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline SaintDrake - Posted October 11 2016 - 7:40 PM

SaintDrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationEvanston, Il

So I have a few Lasius queens in test tube set ups and they have been in these for a couple months now. Some of them are starting to dry out and I am not sure what to do about it. The queens all have brood but no workers so I don't know the best way to move them? Because they have brood and hibernation is coming up I am stressing a bit. It is weird because not all of the tubes are drying up some are still full of water and others are almost bone dry.

#2 Offline Splat01 - Posted October 11 2016 - 7:52 PM

Splat01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

I suppose you could encourage them to move to a new test tube setup. This can be done by you (risky I think) or by encouraging them to move themselves. Just offer a new tube with and let them choose, really. 

Here's a general guide by Crystals that might help.

Not sure why some tubes are drying and others aren't. 

#3 Offline SaintDrake - Posted October 11 2016 - 7:56 PM

SaintDrake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationEvanston, Il

Yeah I read that. I just wasn't sure if a queen by herself would be willing to move her brood pile or not. 

She would have to or I will have to move her myself. There is no way they could survive the hibernation with no water :P

#4 Offline Splat01 - Posted October 11 2016 - 8:20 PM

Splat01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

She's already constantly moving things around to keep them in the right conditions. When the tube finally dries up and something very attractive is nearby, I'll bet she'll move in. 

AntsCanada has something specific for your situation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users