• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex Surprise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FSTP - Posted November 5 2016 - 2:42 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Today Some friends invited me to go to a local vintage airplane and car show at a small airport here in fresno, CA. It was really fun and saw some nice old planes and cars. However I was more excited to find several nests of Pogonomyrmex! 

pogos8_zpscuslyfdj.jpg

pogos6_zpsmjdcpmpa.jpg

pogos2_zpsqkexda4u.jpg

pogos_zpsm2z4b9ib.jpg

pogos7_zpszllvmzdf.jpg

Then on Our way out I happen to come across a Pogonomyrmex queen digging out a chamber!!! I was so excited but so disappointed I didn't have anything to catch her with or dig her out with. I saw her take out two mandibles of dirt out before I was able to get my camera out to take a picture and then I waited there for about 4-5 minutes waiting for her to come back out but she never did, and non of my friends wanted to sit there and wait for a "stupid ant even if it IS a Queen!!!" just so I could take a pic. They wanted to go eat lunch, lol. I think from now on I'm going to put together and keep an "Auxillary Anting kit" in my van for occasions like this. 

I did get a pic of her overburden though

pogochamber2_zpsbtepkyz8.jpg

pogochamber1_zpscovvt0z3.jpg

I'm sure this is probably boring to you old anters, but anything ants is pretty exciting for me right now.

Edited by FSTP, November 5 2016 - 2:45 PM.

#2 Offline Solenoqueen - Posted November 5 2016 - 2:54 PM

Solenoqueen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Too bad you couldn't get the Pogonomyrex queen, other anters here would have killed to get their hands on one of those  :lol:

:>

#3 Offline FSTP - Posted November 5 2016 - 3:02 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Don't rub my nose in it, I want a Pogonomyrmex so bad..... :facepalm:  This is why I need friends that are also ant enthusiasts....

Edited by FSTP, November 5 2016 - 3:09 PM.

#4 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 5 2016 - 3:27 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Too bad you couldn't get the Pogonomyrex queen, other anters here would have killed to get their hands on one of those :lol:

Ikr

YJK

#5 Offline KaptainKibs - Posted November 5 2016 - 3:46 PM

KaptainKibs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Should have just put her in your sock or something lol

#6 Offline FSTP - Posted November 5 2016 - 3:49 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Should have just put her in your sock or something lol

I don't have socks, LOL

#7 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted November 5 2016 - 3:58 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Too bad you couldn't get the Pogonomyrex queen, other anters here would have killed to get their hands on one of those :lol:

I would've stabbed someone for dat

YJK

#8 Offline Leo - Posted November 5 2016 - 4:37 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

so sorry dude. my friends are a bit more tolerant though they waited nearby as i attempted to dig up a queen from t's founding chamber :D

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 5 2016 - 4:43 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That actually doesn't look like a founding chamber at all. Are you sure it was a queen?

Edit: I take that back. I think it's just the way it looks in the picture. At a closer look, I think it might be.

Edited by dspdrew, November 5 2016 - 4:45 PM.

#10 Offline FSTP - Posted November 5 2016 - 5:28 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

I saw her twice and she looked like a queen, she seemed to have a differently shaped thorax and was a a bit bigger. But As you know I'm new, that's why I wish I could have dug it out I could have at least taken her home either way, but alas I'll never know.

Edit: What characteristics initially led you to believe it was not a Queenly chamber and what eventually led you to believe that it very well might actually be? 

Would just like to better understand what features to look out for.

Edited by FSTP, November 6 2016 - 5:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users