• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Posting in the correct place: A detailed explaination of each subforum

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 6 2016 - 9:26 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

POPULAR

Just wanted to ask everybody to try your best to post in the proper subforum. I just got through moving about 75 topics to the right subforums, all from just the last two months.

It's important to put your topics in the right subforum. This keeps the forum organized, and makes it a lot easier for people to find what they're looking for. Some topics aren't always obvious as to where they belong, or can fit into more than one subforum, so it's understandable that some don't end up in the right place. Most of what I moved though, were clearly in the wrong subforum.

There are explanations of what each subforum is for just below the link on the main page, but in case some of you are still not sure what each one is for, I will write up a more detailed explanation of each one.

Moderators should pay close attention to this as well, so you know where to move incorrectly placed topics.

Forum Support, Feedback & Suggestions
Support requests, feedback or suggestions about the website / forum / software only, not about ants or anything else in life.

Member Introductions
New member introductions. Don't know how to explain this one any better.

General
About 90% of the topics in this subforum were not even supposed to be there. This is for anything involving ants that does NOT fit into any of the other ant-related subforums.

General Ant Keeping
Anything related to formicaria, ant diet & nutrition, captivity conditions, and supplies & materials. Questions about a colony you're are keeping.

Ant Keeping Journals
Seems self-explanatory. On-going posts about ant colonies you are keeping.

General Anting

Aything related to myrmecological observations, sightings, and nuptial flights. Anting trips. Questions about finding ants. Stories or pictures of ants you see in the wild.

Ant ID Requests

Not sure what else to say about this one. If they're ants, and you are requesting identification, then this is where you would post it. If it doesn't involve any of that, it goes somewhere else.

Queen Ant Spotting/Mating Chart

This is where you would post about any nuptial flights or alates spotted so we can add them to the database and chart.

General Off-Topic

This is where anything that DOESN'T involve ants belongs, as long as it doesn't belong in any of the two following, more specific off-topic subforums.

Off-Topic ID Requests

This is for requesting the identification of anything OTHER than an ant.

Off-Topic Journals

Journals for anything OTHER than ants.

General Market Place

Buying, selling, trading, purchase requests, adoptions, give-aways, freebees.

• Reacker, dermy, kellakk and 12 others like this

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2017 - 8:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I just had to move 1/4 of the topics in the last 5 pages of the "General" subforum.

Can we PLEASE post in the proper subforums? If you are unsure, the subforum description pretty much tells you exactly what should be there.

• gcsnelling, dermy and Kevin like this

#3 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 26 2017 - 12:47 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

I think you should add sandbox to that list becuase there is 0 explanation of what it actually is for.

#4 Offline Kevin - Posted March 26 2017 - 1:31 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

I think you should add sandbox to that list becuase there is 0 explanation of what it actually is for.

There is a post in the Sandbox forum explaining what it is for. It's for the children that can't handle themselves in the big-boy forums :lol:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#5 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 26 2017 - 1:38 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I still feel like those rules are vague and don't even feel official. Plus, a title that says "Hey Guys"  isn't exactly what you would think as a very informative topic regarding rules. What is it that differentiates it from "Off-Topic"?

I mean, it's not a problem to me but just my thoughts.  :D

• T.C. likes this

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2017 - 1:48 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I still feel like those rules are vague and don't even feel official. Plus, a title that says "Hey Guys"  isn't exactly what you would think as a very informative topic regarding rules. What is it that differentiates it from "Off-Topic"?

I mean, it's not a problem to me but just my thoughts.  :D

Don't worry about that subforum. Anything that should be there will end up there.

• Kevin likes this

#7 Offline Vanko - Posted March 26 2017 - 2:46 PM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationPlovdiv, Bulgaria
It's difficult for explanations (my native language is Bulgarian) but I think it will be better if quotes automatically get shorter. I mean it's very annoying when someone quote 100 images and then just say "beautiful"
😛 🐜 😛

#8 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted March 26 2017 - 2:48 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

It's difficult for explanations (my native language is Bulgarian) but I think it will be better if quotes automatically get shorter. I mean it's very annoying when someone quote 100 images and then just say "beautiful"

That was me wasn't it.  :lol:

#9 Offline Vanko - Posted March 26 2017 - 2:52 PM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
I guess 😃
  • Martialis likes this
😛 🐜 😛

#10 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2017 - 10:52 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha, well there is a reason to allow multiple nested quotes to a point. I think we allow up to 5 here or something like that. Personally, I remove images from the original message if they are not needed when I quote someone. I wish others would do the same.

• BugFinder likes this

#11 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 26 2017 - 10:55 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

Haha, well there is a reason to allow multiple nested quotes to a point. I think we allow up to 5 here or something like that. Personally, I remove images from the original message if they are not needed when I quote someone. I wish others would do the same.

I diddn't realize until you posted this you could edit the quote! LOL, Ill start doing the same!

Edited by antking117, March 26 2017 - 11:44 PM.

#12 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 26 2017 - 11:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Haha, well there is a reason to allow multiple nested quotes to a point. I think we allow up to 5 here or something like that. Personally, I remove images from the original message if they are not needed when I quote someone. I wish others would do the same. - I like ants

I diddn't realize until you posted this you could edit the quote! LOL, Ill start doing the same! btw i like ants too!

Changing people's words around, or adding things they didn't say would be kind of stupid considering their original message is in the thread.

• BugFinder likes this

#13 Offline Antking117 - Posted March 26 2017 - 11:44 PM

Antking117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationOmaha, Nebraska, USA

I diddn't realize until you posted this you could edit the quote! LOL, Ill start doing the same!

Changing people's words around, or adding things they didn't say would be kind of stupid considering their original message is in the thread.

i know, it was a joke. ill change it back diddnt mean to offend anyone

Edited by antking117, March 26 2017 - 11:44 PM.

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted March 27 2017 - 3:43 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
If new members were in their own group, all of their new topics could be automatically flagged for moderation.

After a couple weeks or months of demonstrating they know how to post in the proper sub-forum (depending on volume of new topics added), the user could be upgraded to full member status so their topics would no longer be auto flagged.
  • Kevin likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#15 Offline Vanko - Posted March 27 2017 - 4:33 AM

Vanko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
👍🏼 I agree! After let us say 30 days and over certain number of created topic, newbies (as me) could become full members.

Edited by Vanko, March 27 2017 - 4:39 AM.

😛 🐜 😛

#16 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 16 2017 - 6:30 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

PLEASE READ

• Martialis likes this

#17 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 16 2017 - 6:35 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Who thinks we should just get rid of subforums and dump all topics in the same place with no organization at all? If so, then I'll get rid of this forum and start a Facebook group.

#18 Offline Spamdy - Posted April 16 2017 - 6:51 AM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas
No Please, I don't think that would solve much,, except,loose some members

Edited by Spamdy, April 16 2017 - 6:55 AM.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#19 Offline Kevin - Posted April 16 2017 - 7:09 AM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Who thinks we should just get rid of subforums and dump all topics in the same place with no organization at all? If so, then I'll get rid of this forum and start a Facebook group.

Ha ha ha, no son.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#20 Offline gcsnelling - Posted April 16 2017 - 7:33 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Bad idea. I am having enough trouble dealing with all the children here if it were to become a facebook forum I would be out.

Edited by gcsnelling, April 16 2017 - 7:34 AM.

• dermy, Subverted and Klassien like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users