• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Some ants have flown in "socal".

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 2 2017 - 11:38 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Yesterday I dug up a shallow claustral chamber in the south orange county area. It was a smaller size queen, shiny black in color. That means some ants have started flying guys!

#2 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 2 2017 - 11:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Sound like it may be Veromessor pergandei, although I wouldn't call them small. Do you have any pictures? Where exactly in South Orange County did you find it?

#3 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 2 2017 - 11:47 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Sorry, I meant to give a more accurate description. The queen escaped from me after I found her so pictures are not possible. I looked for more claustral chambers but found none in the area other than the one I found. She was around the size of a solenopsis xyloni queen, maybe a little bit larger, but not by much. She was on the smaller size, compared to what I'm used to. I found her in the hills near Foothill ranch, Trabuco canyon area, 

#4 Offline Socalfireants - Posted March 2 2017 - 11:55 AM

Socalfireants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

The veromessor species you mentioned. Is that the ants that I find when I'm looking for pogonomyrmex californicus in the trabuco area (I live here) They look alot like Pogonomyrmex c. but they are black with a slightly red tint sometimes. They are about the same size and shape as Pogonomyrmex. I think they have different size workers too. 

• Martialis likes this

#5 Offline Martialis - Posted March 2 2017 - 2:11 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Just a heads up Socalfireants.

When abbreviating species names, always abbreviate the genus and never the species. Additionally, never abbreviate unless the species' full name is mentioned elsewhere in the topic/article.   Here's an example. I'm using Veromessor pergandei, as it was mentioned by drew earlier:  This abbreviation would  be V. pergandei, not Veromessor p.

• CallMeCraven likes this
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users