• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New From Kansas Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Trogbad - Posted October 3 2016 - 11:03 PM

Trogbad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKansas

Hello all!

I'm relatively new to the ant world but I have been studying and researching it for several months now in an attempt to prepare myself for a colony! One major problem though.... Getting ants :( I'm a 24 year old disabled veteran who unfortunately cannot physically go out and catch anymore. I tried... and it put me in the hospital.

As I'm sure most of you know, acquiring queen ants aside from catching them, is rather difficult. I have been back and forth with multiple sites and forums with no luck. Ants Canada has no GAN farmers in my area, and I just can't seem to have any luck. 

I have a beautiful setup from Tar Heel with nothing to live inside. Is there anyone out there who can at least point me in the right direction? Anyone have queens? I'd hate to have put in so much effort for nothing.

• Enderz likes this

#2 Offline Leo - Posted October 4 2016 - 1:10 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

try setting up a light trap

p.s can u tell us your story :)

Edited by Leo, October 4 2016 - 1:11 AM.

#3 Offline Trogbad - Posted October 4 2016 - 2:05 AM

Trogbad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKansas
Light trap? I can tell many stories lol but i'm afraid without specifics, my story would never end what would you like to know?

#4 Offline Leo - Posted October 4 2016 - 2:09 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

how u ended in the hospital

ligtrap.gif

#5 Offline Trogbad - Posted October 4 2016 - 2:16 AM

Trogbad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKansas
Ahh, i unfortunately live in an area that uses pesticides like crazy! I could set up a trap but it would have to be so far from home it would be hard to monitor.

As to the hospital... i tend to physically push my self when i shouldn't. I broke my back overseas and it causes many issues, from pain to neuropathy. Lets just say, a simple walk through the woods turned into me losing feeling in my legs at the wrong time. It happens often but usually with warning. Last week i thought i felt up to going for that walk and it went south fast.

#6 Offline Leo - Posted October 4 2016 - 3:26 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

too bad you will just have to wait until they fly to your home (pesticides don't always work on ants so you still have a chance)

#7 Offline Trogbad - Posted October 4 2016 - 5:54 AM

Trogbad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKansas
Just another thing that makes me miss home. I remember seeing soooooo many queens crawling around back in NY. I don't see any where i live now lol

#8 Offline Enderz - Posted October 4 2016 - 6:47 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

You could use a blacklight trap like he said with the same design.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#9 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 4 2016 - 1:19 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Well I would like to start off by saying. Thank you for serving the country. God bless ya. (or if you are an athiest) you a great person! I am sorry for your loss aswell. Also, I would like to say, try to keep watching the Ants Canada gan project. My state (NJ) wasn't on it for sooo long. Until now! So I am happy. Don't give up hope! Also if you wait till around Spring, Queen ants are everywhere! They will fly into your house and everything! I really hope you get luck on this! I still haven't raised a single queen, not to mention colony. But I have hope! :D

• Trogbad likes this

#10 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted October 4 2016 - 2:02 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

What part of Kansas? I'm a little confused on WHY, but I found four different species of queens in the last 48 hours in the Eastern half. It's getting awfully late in the year, but I'm wondering if tonight's rain will do anything.

#11 Offline Trogbad - Posted October 4 2016 - 4:17 PM

Trogbad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKansas
Thanks Camp!!

What part of Kansas? I'm a little confused on WHY, but I found four different species of queens in the last 48 hours in the Eastern half. It's getting awfully late in the year, but I'm wondering if tonight's rain will do anything.

I live in Lawrence, lol why i wouldn't care but sadly i didn't see any. Where abouts are you?

#12 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted October 4 2016 - 5:11 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Topeka, and just saying that to point out we definitely have at least some isolated nuptial flights still occurring. It will probably be time to put them down for hibernation here before the month is over. Are you still thinking you want some this year?

#13 Offline Trogbad - Posted October 5 2016 - 3:21 AM

Trogbad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationKansas

Topeka, and just saying that to point out we definitely have at least some isolated nuptial flights still occurring. It will probably be time to put them down for hibernation here before the month is over. Are you still thinking you want some this year?

Yeah i had a feeling i might not get any before hibernation but as you said, there's still hope!

The temperature here picked back up this week too so that's good.

Edited by Trogbad, October 5 2016 - 3:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users