• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I caught a worker I am pretty sure.. Please help

id

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 2 2016 - 1:02 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

So basicaly I went out side to catch a camponotus worker and to see if it is pennsylvancius or not and let it go after. But the pennsylvanicus is not the question I want anwser atm... You see, I have heard when you catch queens in a test tube. If they immediatley start cleaning themselves and stop pacing around means they are mated with and ready to lay eggs. However this "Worker" is doing the sane thing, It is cleaning itself alot! And stopped running.. Now it looks like a camponotus pennsylvancius worker. But is there a chance this could be a smaller type of ants queen. Because. I have very tiny black ants too which look like mini camponotus. So I think there is a chance this could be one of em. Or this could just be a worker cleaning itself idk... Please help before I release it! Also I am pretty sure it is not a queen. Small abdomen and all. http://ctrlv.in/857350 I'm sorry it is a pretty crappy picture of it while it is bending over cleaning.

#2 Offline Kevin - Posted October 2 2016 - 1:23 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

It's probably stressed, you can hardly see the ant in the picture.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 2 2016 - 2:09 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
Would help if I could see the ant
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted October 2 2016 - 11:22 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Probably a worker just cleaning herself. Ants clean themselves a lot, and there's no point running around in circles in the same place for eternity.

With that being said the picture is quite blurry.

#5 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted October 3 2016 - 9:15 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

She is also probably enjoying the humidity of the test tube. She might have been thirsty. Camponotus generally don't move much unless they have some sort of task.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#6 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 3 2016 - 9:17 AM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

It's probably stressed, you can hardly see the ant in the picture.

Its not stressed it is just I used my webcam which sucks.

She is also probably enjoying the humidity of the test tube. She might have been thirsty. Camponotus generally don't move much unless they have some sort of task.

Yeah. Probably. I already let her go doe.

Probably a worker just cleaning herself. Ants clean themselves a lot, and there's no point running around in circles in the same place for eternity.

With that being said the picture is quite blurry.

Yeah my webcam is poop. And my camera on my phone which takes high quality pictures is broken.

#7 Offline kellakk - Posted October 3 2016 - 11:34 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

If you upload images to your gallery, you can then attach those images to any post you make. See here and here if you get lost.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#8 Offline CamponotusLover - Posted October 3 2016 - 12:57 PM

CamponotusLover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

If you upload images to your gallery, you can then attach those images to any post you make. See here and here if you get lost.

I know how to do it I said my phone is BROKEN though so I can't.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: id

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users