• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hello from Glendale Arizona

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Origional_Username - Posted September 22 2016 - 10:43 PM

Origional_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Hello all,

I seem to forgotten to introduce myself as I was just so excited and impressed by the vast amount of info available here I just had to start reading. I have posted a few times but mostly I have been reading. lets see a little about myself, I am not too good at registering names, I like ants, lives in Arizona, and I am 27 years old. I have had ant fever for about 4 months now.

A little about my ants. I have found queens of 3 ant species, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta, and what I think is a Brachymyrmex sp. (I would try to id them if I had a better camera, they are so tiny!)  All the fire ants died, probably my fault as I sorta rushed into this. Half of my Pogonomyrmex's have died, at least partially my fault but they also seem to not do to well in captivity from some of the posts I have read. As for my Brachymyrmex I have 4 queens in total but only one has workers,12 of them. All standard test tube setups.

Looking forward to reading more of the available content, thank you contributors.

• Foogoo likes this

#2 Offline spider_creations - Posted September 23 2016 - 6:23 PM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Hello and welcome to the fourm, it's awesome to see there are other people in Arizona,becuase I live in Arizona.

#3 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 24 2016 - 9:48 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Welcome. :) You're living in the best place for this hobby.

#4 Offline NightsWebs - Posted September 24 2016 - 10:45 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

as far as pogonomyrmex go they do very well in captivity, I currently have several Rugosus colonies and a P. Californicus colont of nearly 2000 ants.  and an additional 4 colonies of 7-10 ants.  Pogonomyrmex are great robust ants and no you don't have to have them in dirt set ups which many people assume.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#5 Offline NightsWebs - Posted September 24 2016 - 10:47 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Welcome to the forum.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#6 Offline Origional_Username - Posted September 30 2016 - 10:41 AM

Origional_Username

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationGlendale, Arizona

Thank you everyone for the welcome.

as far as pogonomyrmex go they do very well in captivity, I currently have several Rugosus colonies and a P. Californicus colont of nearly 2000 ants.  and an additional 4 colonies of 7-10 ants.  Pogonomyrmex are great robust ants and no you don't have to have them in dirt set ups which many people assume.

I could just be bad at this still, I know I have disturbed them too much in the beginning. The difficulties I thought I had read about was that they are very nervous in the test tube stage. Also that someone catches a bunch of them and only a few make it. I tried to find the thread but I am terrible at forum navigation in general.

Hello and welcome to the fourm, it's awesome to see there are other people in Arizona,becuase I live in Arizona.

I also find it pleasing to know of others around with the same interest. When out collecting I have had many strange conversations with people who thought I was crazy or stirring up trouble.

Welcome. :) You're living in the best place for this hobby.

Thank you. I am looking forward to being able to travel again, some really neat species are around 20 to 50 miles away. For example I know that many people have found honeypot ants out in Tucson. I want to eat one of those honeypot repleats  :)

#7 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 30 2016 - 10:57 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

You eat one and report back to us...

....I'll stick to gummy bears thank you.....

Edited by sgheaton, September 30 2016 - 10:58 AM.

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#8 Offline T.C. - Posted September 30 2016 - 11:29 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

You eat one and report back to us...

....I'll stick to gummy bears thank you.....

Oh! You have never tried eating one? :D

Welcome to the forum, it's a good community here!

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#9 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 30 2016 - 12:34 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

I mean....it's ...like...whatever you fed them. So Sunburst with some..crunchiness to it.... Its not like you're going to be making gushers!

......do ants like gushers?? Crunchy gusher....

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users