• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Small ant ID (San Diego CA)

Best Answer Gregory2455 , September 30 2016 - 10:53 PM

Forelius mccooki or pruinosus.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Gemmawemma - Posted September 30 2016 - 10:43 PM

Gemmawemma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

1. Location of collection is Santee San Diego

2. collected 9/30/2016
3. sandy hillside, the only other ant present in this area that i am aware of is Pogonomyrmex Rugosus
4.  2 mm while the ant that i believe to be a queen is approx 3mm
5. orange to yellowish/red
6. striped gaster 
7. distinctive transparent gaster
8. small mounds with rocky loose gravel

348kiso.jpg

I found more than one of these per colony

2u5z57q.jpg

Edited by Gemmawemma, September 30 2016 - 10:52 PM.

#2 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted September 30 2016 - 10:53 PM   Best Answer

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Forelius mccooki or pruinosus.

#3 Offline Gemmawemma - Posted October 1 2016 - 12:24 AM

Gemmawemma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you!!

#4 Offline James C. Trager - Posted October 1 2016 - 3:36 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

I've always had the sense these would be hard to keep in captivity, because they're so speedy and require higher tempreaturess for optimum activitiy and health than most other ants. 
Keep us posted on how it goes with maintaining this colony. 

#5 Offline kudofo - Posted October 2 2016 - 10:51 AM

kudofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Good find Gemm! I have 4 argentine ant queens I caught 2 days ago. I need a bigger species for my new formicariums! I offered to grab that cremegastor from dpsdrew.

#6 Offline Gemmawemma - Posted October 2 2016 - 1:27 PM

Gemmawemma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Good find Gemm! I have 4 argentine ant queens I caught 2 days ago. I need a bigger species for my new formicariums! I offered to grab that cremegastor from dpsdrew.

20hld7l.jpg

The queen and her workers seem to be getting used to their new home quite well!  :D

They are in a 50/50 mix of native soil and a substrate which includes, sand, lava rock, pumice. i think they really like the porosity of the lava, its giving them a safe place to store their brood where the likelyhood of them getting crushed is relatively low. I still think i need an outworld for them, and Id like to get more information on how to care for them. 

I went searching for argentine queens but i couldn't find the entrance to the nest. The crematogaster for $30? I too need a larger species of ant. These are so cool but they are kind of hard to see, and my pogonomyrmex rugosus has no queen so I too am searching. 

Edited by Gemmawemma, October 2 2016 - 1:34 PM.

• T.C. likes this

#7 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 27 2016 - 9:59 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I've always had the sense these would be hard to keep in captivity, because they're so speedy and require higher tempreaturess for optimum activitiy and health than most other ants. 
Keep us posted on how it goes with maintaining this colony. 

They are actually really easy. Just keep them with a heat lamp and a warmer place like a garage and they thrive. One of the easiest ants I've ever kept.

However, they need a combination of fluon+olive oil as separate barriers or they do escape. Usually I do fluon on top and olive oil underneath. Use a towel (not a napkin, but a dish towel) to rub the olive oil and then dry it off slightly. Doing that, the olive oil itself lasts for months. I've tried other cooking oils but they don't work nearly as good. Maybe olive oil just by itself is fine (and I've done just that), but I really like adding that extra defense of fluon.

But, yeah Forelius pruinosus/mccooki like to escape if given a chance, but are easy enough to contain. They grow at a good speed (and not so fast like Solenopsis invicta), fun to watch, eat pretty much everything (so diet isn't an issue at all) and probably the easiest to care for ant species I've ever kept. I can't really think of an ant species (in Southern California) that could be any easier.

Edited by Vendayn, October 27 2016 - 10:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users