• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this even an Ant?

Best Answer kellakk , September 27 2016 - 7:16 PM

That looks like a rove beetle.  Notice the antennae are knobby and not elbowed.  If you look closely, you can even see the elytra right between the second pair of legs.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Dethundrel - Posted September 27 2016 - 7:08 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Hi all! Brand new to the ant thing and looking for a little identification assistance.

I know I got into ants really late in the season and already missed the majority of the easy to find ants.  That did not deture me from continueing to look, though. I wish I would have stumbled on this a few months ago. I am super eager and ready to make things happen, which has lead me to grabbing the first crawler I found.

I'm not even sure this is an ant, anyone mind letting me know if my first find is a dud or not?

1. Location of collection: Grand Junction, Colorado

2. Date of collection: 9/27/16 - 8:00 PM (Dark)

3. Habitat of collection: School parking lot under the lights - asphalt/concrete

4. Length: Tiny, maybe 4mm?

5. Coloration, hue, pattern and texture: Dark brown/black

6. Distinguishing characteristics: Huge Gagster, small Thorax, really long antenna for the size.

7. Anything else distinctive: Keeps pointing its butt up in the air and cannot seem to climb either glass or plastic containers it's been in.

8. Nest description: None, was just in the gutter by itself.

gallery_1172_650_153628.jpg

This is the clearest picture I could get my iPhone to take, hope it's good enough.

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted September 27 2016 - 7:16 PM   Best Answer

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

That looks like a rove beetle.  Notice the antennae are knobby and not elbowed.  If you look closely, you can even see the elytra right between the second pair of legs.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline Dethundrel - Posted September 27 2016 - 7:29 PM

Dethundrel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Thank you very much!  I was 95% certian it was not an ant. Being so late in the season, I didn't want to risk it throwing away a possbile find.

After reviewing some pictures of what you mentioned and looking up "elytra", I have better understanding of not only what to look for on an ant, but what an ant should not have.

#4 Offline kellakk - Posted September 27 2016 - 7:55 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

No problem, glad I was helpful.  Good luck finding a queen!

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#5 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted September 27 2016 - 8:05 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Antennae that bend at a right angle (more or less, just make sure there's an obvious joint) will be one of your best at a glance characteristics. There are a few wasps that look uncomfortably similar to ant reproductives, but their antennae will let you sort them out fairly easily.

#6 Offline Salmon - Posted September 28 2016 - 1:11 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Well, elbowed antennae aren't *exclusvely* an ant trait. Rove beetles in the genus Homaeotarsus have them:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users