• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Colony 'Outworld outside'

ants projects

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Enderz - Posted September 26 2016 - 2:54 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

My idea is to make a colony where the queen stays in my captivity and the ants go outside normaly. I won't be working on this for a while but will come back to it when i am more experienced maybe. Just an idea and if you have any sudgestions  please tell me!

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 26 2016 - 3:42 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
The idea here, is that if the queen can't fit through the entrance, then you'll have a captive colony, perfectly observable, able to forage as it would in nature.

A fat queen may not fit through the entrance, but what about tiny eggs and larvae? What will happen when the workers discover a superior nest site outside the artificial formicarium?

Incipient (young/immature) colonies usually thrive only when in close proximity to a reliable food source. What if the necessary foods are too far to be found? What if much larger colonies of aggressive ants discover your small colony?

Though many people have considered this arrangement, there is an exhaustive list of reasons why it will only end in failure.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline kellakk - Posted September 26 2016 - 5:00 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Subverted has a colony that he "free-ranges" like this.  As far as I know, it's doing well. However, this only works if you have a large enough size difference between queens and workers so that the queen is excluded from leaving. Also, as drtrmiller said, colonies need constant access to food, so you would need to ensure that the foraging workers find food easily.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#4 Offline Enderz - Posted September 26 2016 - 5:19 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
Yes this is only an idea :P because I can't do it (I live in an apartment)

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#5 Offline Pyrosmog - Posted September 27 2016 - 11:18 AM

Pyrosmog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUtah USA

I've wondered quite a bit about this. Could you use other measures to deter the queen from leaving? Such as distance, light or heat(or lack there of)? Perhaps a combination. If doing this I would personally opt for a natural like formicarium of dirt in a terrarium. My bet is that if you let the ants build their own nest they would be less likely to leave. You could heat the bottom so that they have a nice temperature gradient.

#6 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 27 2016 - 1:42 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I've wondered quite a bit about this. Could you use other measures to deter the queen from leaving? Such as distance, light or heat(or lack there of)? Perhaps a combination. If doing this I would personally opt for a natural like formicarium of dirt in a terrarium. My bet is that if you let the ants build their own nest they would be less likely to leave. You could heat the bottom so that they have a nice temperature gradient.

Even if you do everything in your power to make their nest perfect they ants would probably still end up nesting outside of your formicarium. Small changes in your nest (humidity, vibrations, light, heat) would make other nests more suitable for the ants and they would be quick to respond. The dirt is a good idea but I don't think its foolproof. I would only try this method on colonies you are not afraid to lose.

• drtrmiller likes this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ants, projects