• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Getting ants out of a rock?

domestication

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline andSocks - Posted September 26 2016 - 6:45 PM

andSocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I recently got bit by the joy of ants, bought a few snap caps and started hunting. Walking around for a few days with my eyes peeled for a queen was getting me nowhere fast, I decided to take a more agressive approach. These two rocks in my yard were teeming with ants, pupa, eggs and maybe (hopefully) a queen. My hope is that I can encourage the colony to leave the rocks and move into the test-tube nests I've prepared for them (I made 4). What are my chances of success?
I have a light on the rocks hoping to warm/dry them up.
  • Enderz likes this

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 26 2016 - 7:55 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

You mean the rock with the ants in it is still outside? If this is the case it won't work. Test tubes aren't very naturle, especially since this colony has lived in natural stuuf all their lives, I can almost guarantee they won't move into your test tube. Outdoors their is so many other nest options.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline andSocks - Posted September 26 2016 - 8:05 PM

andSocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I have the rocks in an large glass tank, with a talc/alcohol barrier and there is no where else for them to find moisture. how long can I hold them like this without threatening their lives?

#4 Offline T.C. - Posted September 26 2016 - 8:08 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Ahhh, ants are strong surviviors! Dry that rock out, they might come out? Keep the test tube dark though

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#5 Offline andSocks - Posted September 26 2016 - 8:11 PM

andSocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

That is the plan, multiple tubes for them to check out, a few under a sheet of cork. Tomorrow I'll add another with honey water. 

#6 Offline Salmon - Posted September 27 2016 - 3:20 AM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
So, you think all the ants are inside that rock? You're sure some of them weren't in the soil below the rock?
  • noebl1 and Chandlerk like this

#7 Offline andSocks - Posted September 27 2016 - 12:46 PM

andSocks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Yepp. Came home today to find the rocks were vacant, the workers had moved the brood into one of the test tubes (AWESOME), but I don't see a queen. Not going to throw them away, still want to hangout and watch the few that I have develop.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users