• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Test tube hibernation?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Chandlerk - Posted September 23 2016 - 6:18 AM

Chandlerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Do test tube setups need to be hibernated?
Is it the same procedure? Specifically for L. neoniger and B. depilis

#2 Offline T.C. - Posted September 23 2016 - 8:56 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,060 posts

yep, just put them in the fridge the same way!

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#3 Offline dermy - Posted September 23 2016 - 10:30 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

I've heard sometimes test-tubes can "leak" during hibernation, [I think it's due to the temperature change but i'm not 100% sure] so it might be a good idea to prop them upright so it is less likely to occur, it would suck to go look on your ants and see that the test-tube flooded and your colony drowned :|

• drtrmiller likes this

#4 Offline Chandlerk - Posted September 23 2016 - 10:32 AM

Chandlerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationMaryland
Thanks for the quick replies!

Sounds like a good idea.

Will either of those species lay eggs before hibernation?

#5 Offline dermy - Posted September 23 2016 - 10:53 AM

dermy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationCanada

Assuming you just collected them and live in an area that gets "Winter" it is safe to assume they'd need to hibernate before egglaying [esp. the Lasius neoniger, I'm not sure about the other though]

#6 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 23 2016 - 11:26 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I've heard sometimes test-tubes can "leak" during hibernation, [I think it's due to the temperature change but i'm not 100% sure] so it might be a good idea to prop them upright so it is less likely to occur, it would suck to go look on your ants and see that the test-tube flooded and your colony drowned :|

Excellent observation, Dermy.  It is important to exercise caution when exposing test tubes to extreme or rapid temperature fluctuations, because the water and gasses in the reservoir are somewhat pressurized, only held in balance by the weak, semi-porous cotton plug.

An increase in temperature will increase the pressure in the reservoir, pushing gas and water outward, while a decrease in temperature will decrease the pressure, sucking additional air into the reservoir section of the test tube—air which must be depressurized back out if or when the temperature returns to normal.

In short, the water and gasses in the test tube "breathe" to the rhythm of external temperature fluctuations.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 23 2016 - 12:11 PM.

• dspdrew, dermy, benjiwuf and 1 other like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users