• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Missouri flights?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline glnn - Posted September 23 2016 - 9:57 AM

glnn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Are there any flights left for Missouri and if so what should I watch for.

#2 Offline HumanSuit - Posted September 23 2016 - 10:12 AM

HumanSuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not sure. I hope so, cause I haven't found any queens yet. From all the info I have come across, I would guess there is still time to find some queens on account of the weather being decently warm. As far as what to look for, I have no clue. I'm not the east side of MO. I'll let you know if I come across anything this weekend. I plan on doing a lot of searching.

#3 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted September 23 2016 - 1:07 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

The rains brought quite a few flights last weekend on the Eastern edge of Kansas. I'm just guessing/hoping, but the rains coming this weekend may be our last, best chance to have the slowpoke colonies take flight. This goes double if we get the morning showers and muggy Saturday afternoon as predicted. Fingers crossed.

Of course, there are some other genera that keep going for a while, but I really don't know much about those.

#4 Offline glnn - Posted September 24 2016 - 5:08 AM

glnn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Seems my rain won't be here until Sunday.It also looks windy monday will that affect the flights?

#5 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted September 24 2016 - 8:43 AM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Our rain is going to be pretty late too, unfortunately. Looks like no anting today.

I think ~10 mph wind won't prevent their flights, just make life harder for you. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in?

#6 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 24 2016 - 10:52 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Wind can certainly impact flights. I think though even if they fly this late they may well not manage to start colonies due to poor mating succes.

Edited by gcsnelling, September 24 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#7 Offline glnn - Posted September 24 2016 - 11:02 AM

glnn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is there still hope for starts from flights or should I focus more on finding founding chambers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users