• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lynnwood, Washington. USA. 9-21-16

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 21 2016 - 3:02 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I just found this bug in my room and wondered if it was an ant or not.  She has a stinger!  I didn't know ants have stingers.

1. Lynnwood, Wa. USA.  In my bedroom climbing a wire.

2. 9-21-16

3. Unknown.  Found in my room.
4. 6mm.  She is standing on a pencil eraser for comparison.
5. Black gaster and head.  Red abdomen.  Shiny, no hairs or very small possibly.
6. What looks to be a stinger coming out of the end of her gaster.  Also her antennal segments are different from the ants I have seen so far.  There is usually a long one from the head, but this “ant” doesn’t seem to have the one long segment, instead she has small ones from the base of the antenna all the way to the tip.

7. When she felt threatened (trying to get her on the pencil to get her out of my room) she raised and lowered her gaster/stinger section as she walked along the pencil.

8. Unknown.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n23/shareallicu/Stinger%20ant.jpg

#2 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 21 2016 - 3:23 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

I'm kind of ignorant as an entomologist, but that is definitely a wasp.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#3 Offline Enderz - Posted September 21 2016 - 3:31 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I'm kind of ignorant as an entomologist, but that is definitely a wasp.

I'm pretty sure that might be a ground wasp like the "velvet ant" which isn't an ant at all! Just let it go out your door cause it will probably die in your house. 

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#4 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 21 2016 - 6:10 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I'm pretty sure I the "stingerp" is an ovipositor
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#5 Offline Salmon - Posted September 21 2016 - 6:11 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
It's a wingless ichneumon wasp, probably in the genus Gelis. That's not a stinger but rather an ovipositor used to lay eggs inside the bodies of other insects. (Though ant and wasp stingers evolved from that same organ.) Interestingly at least some members of the genus Gelis are not just parasitoids, but rather hyperparisitoids who lay eggs inside the pupae of other ichneumon wasps.
  • Batspiderfish likes this

#6 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 22 2016 - 7:35 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Okay, thanks everyone!!!  I have never seen this kind of bug before!  I didn't know that wasps were wingless!  

#7 Offline Enderz - Posted September 22 2016 - 7:52 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Okay, thanks everyone!!!  I have never seen this kind of bug before!  I didn't know that wasps were wingless!  

Some wasps

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users