• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cheryl's Lasius Queen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 20 2016 - 8:21 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

My pictures have not been clear enough to determine what specific Lasius queen she is, but I am thinking of naming her Lacy since she is a Lasius! 

Lacy is not as jumpy and afraid of me as my Formica (Princess Leia) ant.  So I checked on her today.  I put her in a large test tube set up and put a small piece of wood inside.  It straddles the sides, so she can go on top or underneath.  I also drilled a hole in the middle so she can use that to move from top/bottom, or she can just go over the two ends.  She was sitting upside down in the hole, with her wings still intact, so I don't know if she even managed to mate! 

I found Lacy in the cats water and rescued her!  I am hoping she mated before plunging herself into the water, but only time will tell.

I try to ignore both my queens but it's so hard!  As my first queens, they are difficult to ignore: I'm so excited!! :D

I am back in college for the fall quarter, so I will probably find it easier to ignore them in the near future as my homework piles up!

#2 Offline NightsWebs - Posted September 20 2016 - 10:10 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

I wish you the best of luck with your queens and the hobby.  Allowing the queens to be alone for 3-5 day stretches I have found really helps them settle down and build their colony.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#3 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 21 2016 - 3:05 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I wish you the best of luck with your queens and the hobby.  Allowing the queens to be alone for 3-5 day stretches I have found really helps them settle down and build their colony.

OKay thanks a lot!  I will  definitely do that 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users