• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Forcing ants to move house

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Del - Posted September 19 2016 - 5:39 PM

Del

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

Hi all,

I've got some really stubborn ants that I want to move to a clean test tube as I'm worried that the large and expanding mold garden on the back cotton is dangerous and preventing them from drinking.

Do people often move small colonies by force? Can ants die from stress? I've done it before but I would appreciate any experience people have.

Cheers,

Aidan

#2 Offline Salmon - Posted September 19 2016 - 5:50 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Easy- put them on a heat mat and crank it up until they can't tolerate the heat.

#3 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 19 2016 - 5:51 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

The ants don't need to drink. They absorb moisture from the air. Give them access to a fresh tube and do not force the colony to move unless they start dying.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#4 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 19 2016 - 6:30 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Easy- put them on a heat mat and crank it up until they can't tolerate the heat.

Unless dealing with Prenolepis imparis, most ants are thermophiles, being attracted to heat.  What you recommend is a good way to cook a colony.

Bright light, placed very close to the tube, however, will often do the trick.  Daylight LED or CFL bulbs work best (you want to avoid too much heat).  Observe the ants closely throughout the move to ensure they do not overheat or drown during the moving process.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 19 2016 - 6:35 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#5 Offline Del - Posted September 19 2016 - 7:04 PM

Del

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationSydney, AU

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Unfortunately this colony seems pretty tolerant of light, but I'll try something brighter. Really though, all I want to do is get in there with a small paint brush and tip them into a clean tube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users