• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Looking for advice on a C. pennsylvanicus queen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted September 19 2016 - 2:54 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

While waiting for a certain colony's nuptial flight last Saturday, I caught a wandering Camponotus pennsylvanicus queen. Everything I read suggest this is a couple months late, but given how wet Kansas' summer was, I'm not seeing a reason for a postponed flight. Would a late nuptial flight or a displaced/infertile queen be more likely? Would that answer change her feeding requirements?

I primarily concerned with if her needs would be any different than a queen caught in July; feed after nanitics present, hibernate in November, ect. I'm skeptical she'll thrive and would rather not stack the deck against her with my ignorance.

#2 Offline iXvXi - Posted September 19 2016 - 4:27 PM

iXvXi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
All aspects of caring for your queen would be the same. I don't suspect a different fertility rate either. Generally if conditions required for nuptial flightto take place, then surrounding colonies of that same species would also fly.

The removing of the Queens wings are a good indication she's fertile, but many fertile Queens keep their wings as well. Sometimes the only way to tell is put her in a test tube and wait.

Edited by iXvXi, September 19 2016 - 4:28 PM.

#3 Offline benjiwuf - Posted September 19 2016 - 10:51 PM

benjiwuf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationGroßröhrsdorf Germany
A small bit of honey water might also be a good idea in case she did try to start a colony previously. However that's an optional thing. If she did fly recently then she has everything she will need.

#4 Offline Antsinmycloset - Posted September 20 2016 - 12:01 PM

Antsinmycloset

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Sounds good, thank you both. I forgot to mention it, but yes, she lost her wings before I found her.

I'll offer some honey water when I see how she's adjusting in two or three weeks. Fingers crossed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users